GNOME 40 change all my settings - visual chaos

I use Dash to Panel and it has a setting under behavior to turn it off.

1 Like

Thank you all for you kind help. Currently there is only one issue which is sort of cosmetic, but irritating nevertheless.
Mouse ponter is square when system boots or when I logout at the login screen. Mouse is moving and I can click. It only look like square instead of arrow. When I log it reposition at the same position as after boot or logout and changes to proper arrow pointer.
Interesting that this original position of the mouse is almost right bottom let say 4/5 horizontal from left and 1/5 vertical from bottom.

I did little experiment and switched from gdm to lightdm. After restart of my computer lightdm prompt has appeared with correct arrow like mouse pointer in the center of the screen.
When I moved back to gdm, it was back to small square (size of normal mouse pointer) and close to right bottom of the screen as before.

Does this indicate the issue is in GDM or its settings?

P.S.: I was not able to log in into GNOME from lightdm.

I have the same issue. I think this is GNOME 40 default.

Next observation after another test. I disabled Wayland and run GDM with X11, mouse cursor was ok in form of arrow, but still placed in right bottom corner as described above. I couldn’t log same way as with lightDM. May it has something to do with not complete X11 installation? I do not know.

Now I would say it has something to do with wayland (square instead of arrow shaped of mouse cursor) and GDM ( the position of mouse in corner and not in the middle of the screen).

Could somebody suggest what to look in logs or some other experiment?

I’ve got a custom install of Gnome, but my mouse cursor theme is the default one.

Have you got a fancy one? Maybe try some others and reboot to check if the issue persists.

Hi, you can have a nice (and sharp worded) overview of the changes of GNOME 40 here:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-40.html
And then see what of the following link remains tweakable with it:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-33-essential-tweaks.html

You can indeed also check out other DEs, KDE Plasma even has some kind of global themes to mimick other DEs … not perfectly, but they may provide a good starting point to find your optimal fit.

Somehow, I am where I didn’t want to be. I want to use the system which works, which doesn’t change without my consent and if I can choose to go back.

User who is using a computer as tool and not developing it.

All DE at some point have some major changes. Even KDE I guess (just not so long ago they change the application-launcher/start-menu completely, a complete redesign in appearance and functionality). But yeah from what I read GNOME might be the worst for that.

I guess the unfortunate reality is that we have to go with the flow (especially on a rolling release like Manjaro), and sometimes adapt and/or rebuild from the ground-up when thing have major changes.

Yes you are right and I understand, but:

• it should not break your user interface in a way you can not use it
  • it should be possible to roll back if you do not like it

It’s not really the trend in evolution/update of Desktop Environments.
Gnome particularly gets two major updates each year.

Some more conservative DEs have slower innovative pace, but a longer “keep it the way I know”, such as Mate or Cinnamon (that were forked back in the day because people did not like the change brought by Gnome 3).

It’s just that complaining that Gnome breaks habits and workflow every once in a while… Well, that’s Gnome. Had been like this back then. Will be like this later.

A post was split to a new topic: Updated download links

When you would have been using a Vanilla (default/plain) Gnome shell and upgraded it to 40 it would still be working and not be broken.

Like you, we all use extensions and themes, build by devs outside the Gnome and Manjaro team, to customize our UI/UX. These cause the breakage, Gnome nor Manjaro are responsible for your visual chaos.

When updating to 40 I turned the extensions off and used a Gnome stock app, shell and cursor themes. I rebuild my DE setup from there, to see which used external extensions and themes still worked with G 40.

Rollback to your backup or snapshot, that you would have made before your update to 40, would bring you back to 3.38, but than you cant update your apps anymore, wich is not a good plan.

cos there is no stable release of the ISOs yet. However you can check daily builds …

I may not expressed that clearly, but the only modification I did on gnome was background image and use configuration options in settings and tweaks.I use theme available on Manjaro when I installed it originally.

I am running this config over four years, this is first time it went sour. I am not playing/tweaking with my system as it works perfectly and I am very glad for it.

We have moved with this discussion, somewhere else. I do not like to continue with discussion about how it should be and what particular DM do or not.

Thanks to suggestions from @bogdancovaciu I have my system where it was except the square mouse cursor on GDM. Any suggestions there? Thank you.

I have been where you are now 3-4 years ago - I loved the gnome experience - but the constant changes drove me nuts.

As already pointed out - Gnome and KDE is reputed to break on releases.

While the Manjaro team does a good job at minimizing the impact - the upstream development by Gnome team and the KDE team - is out of their hands - they can only try to keep up.

If you want a system where you don’t have to deal with possible breaks - you will have to use components which doesn’t change.

I created my own environment based on Openbox - and I had the honor of maintaining this as a community edition until I recently - for various reasons - had to resign from that task.

I would like to thank all of you who had helped me here, particularly:
@bogdancovaciu @xabbu @remark

Here are the things I have done, which lead to solution and perfectly working system:

• setting background image back
  • setting again properties of dash to dock
  • selecting in GNOME tweaks and extensions supported theme, cursor, icons (mostly same i had before)
  • reinstalling X11 and xorg packages (this cleaned the mouse square cursor issue)
  • removed from ~/.profile some hardcoded wayland settings (I was running Manjaro when it was running on X11 by default and switched myself to wayland before this was done by Manjaro itself)

I am glad I am using Manjaro and as my thanks to this forum and people in the development of this wonderful system I am going to make donation.

Thank you all

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.