Gnome 3.34

Just updated to gnome 3.34 on unstable. First impressions:

+ Much smoother animations than before, the difference is amazing on low end hardware like mine
+ The new app folder function works
- Shell overlay search is invisible. You can search and it works, but the results are invisible

Extension that keep working:

• Unite
  • Dash to panel
  • Impatience?
  • Material shell (but it is unstable by default)
  • pamac updates indicator
  • open weather

Extensions that break:

• Arc menu
  • Dash to dock
  • Impatience?
7 Likes

I have one important issue with gnome-terminal 3.34 which doesn't start at all:

# _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation gvfs (GDaemonVfs) for ‘gio-vfs’
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Σφάλμα στην κλήση StartServiceByName για το org.gnome.Terminal: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 127``

I had to downgrade at gnome-terminal 3.32
I tried to fix locale settings but the problem presist.
Someone else with the same problem? Any idea?

Updated my Dash to Dock last night and it's now listed as Ubuntu dock in my extensions. How odd...

dtd is in unstable patched for now.. not perfect but seem work now

Dont use the regular but fedora version ( transparence addicted :wink:) we will see

Gnome-terminal-fedora works well but it's not updated to 3.34.
Gnome-terminal 3.32 also works well. The question is if gnome-terminal-fedora 3.34 works. Could you upgrade it? :smile:

I'm looking into it.. only vte now use meson so i need to rewrite the pkgbuild

1 Like

For me gnome-terminal 3.34 is working just fine. Weird

Snicker

Thanks for the report--I was wondering. @mandog had no problems, but @mandog never does, so...

Tomorrow it goes on my 2014 Haswell i7 laptop. Thankfully, it has an updated Arch+KDE already, so replacing it with GNOME isn't nearly the work installing Arch from scratch takes. In fact, it's downright simple. :smiley:

Thanks, Matti! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info. I do plead guilty on the impatience charge -eager to play but not savvy enough to fix it if it breaks :wink:

Seems there are some changes still needed for some extensions. A new ISO for initial testing is online.

3 Likes

The live session is alright, gnome-terminal starts.

Finally deleted some custom profiles and now works well. :smile:

2 Likes

The theme update fixed the shell overlay search issue.

Although the new theme seems to be shell theme disabled - Wait, it's not diabled, just new shades of blue to turn green.

Yep, i need to rebuild the gdm theme for 3.34..

1 Like

I only rebuilt the theme as shown by @Ste74 in our Telegram group. However it seems that some color had changed. Therefore we have to update our scripts.

Yep... This week end little busy :sweat_smile:

Does gdm theme also operate with sass? If you can point me to the source maybe I can help?

Yep, is generated with sass code. Is the gnome-shell repo.. Gnome-shell repo provide the theme so when build gnome-shell the build obtain also the theme.. In the past i try to use sass to generate and i have the script to generate the theme some where in my pc or in gitlab/github repo ( history) but since i don t know the final result of the sass code the result was nt satisfied... So yes i can point on it when come back to home and sure an help is really appreciated also for simplify and automatize the process.. :+1:

1 Like

GNOME 3.34 Feature

. Easily Create App Folders - is not working

Arch is working

solved
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.app-folders folder-children "['Utilities', 'YaST']"

Info
https://developer.gnome.org/AppFolders/

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark