Can't start Davinci Resolve anymore

Hi,
After the last update, the Davinci doesn’t start anymore!

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve                                                 ✔ 
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so /opt/resolve/bin/resolve            ✔ 
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0

Running Manjaro KDE on kernel 6.6 LTS with AMD RX570 X11.

Kernel: 6.6.16-2-MANJARO 
████████  ████████  ████████   Uptime: 12 mins 
████████  ████████  ████████   Packages: 1191 (pacman), 29 (flatpak) 
████████  ████████  ████████   Shell: bash 5.2.26 
████████  ████████  ████████   Resolution: 3840x1080 
████████  ████████  ████████   DE: Plasma 5.27.10 
████████  ████████  ████████   WM: KWin 
████████  ████████  ████████   WM Theme: Breeze 
████████  ████████  ████████   Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
████████  ████████  ████████   Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3] 
                               Terminal: konsole 
                               Terminal Font: Hack 11 
                               CPU: Intel i5-8400 (6) @ 4.000GHz 
                               GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590 
                               Memory: 2993MiB / 15940MiB 

Regards

Hi @mamPHP,

That is an AUR package:

$ pamac search davinci
davinci-resolve-studio-beta  18.5b4-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                     AUR
Professional A/V post-production software suite from Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or license dongle.
davinci-resolve-studio  18.6.4-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                          AUR
Professional A/V post-production software suite from Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or license dongle.
davinci-resolve-beta  18.5b4-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                            AUR
Professional A/V post-production software suite from Blackmagic Design
davinci-resolve  18.6.4-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 AUR
Professional A/V post-production software suite from Blackmagic Design

…and as such should be rebuilt after every update:

pamac build davinci-resolve

I suspect that might be the problem here, so try it and see what happens.

Hope it helps!

Edit:

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks, I’ve installed the DR via the official package and I’m not using the AUR and don’t want to!

Please provide the output for:

pamac search --installed dav\|res
pamac search --installed dav\|res                                        ✔ 
perl  5.38.2-1                                                                      core
    A highly capable, feature-rich programming language
openresolv  3.13.2-2                                                               extra
    resolv.conf management framework (resolvconf)
noise-suppression-for-voice  1.03-1                                                extra
    A real-time noise suppression plugin for voice
libxres  1.2.2-1                                                                   extra
    X11 Resource extension library
ffmpeg4.4  4.4.4-4                                                                 extra
    Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
ffmpeg  2:6.1.1-5                                                                  extra
    Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
dav1d  1.3.0-1                                                                     extra
    AV1 cross-platform decoder focused on speed and correctness

Based on this :point_up_2: davinci resolve isn’t installed VIA the repositories or the AUR. Are you sure you didn’t perhaps install it VIA Snap or Flatpak?

Edit:

Check with:

snap list

and.or:

flatpak list

…respectively.

Edit:

Or what @scotty65 said:

In which case: you shouldn’t have done that. You should not have done that.

So uninstall it if you did it like this, no - we don’t know how because we don’t know how it was installed in the first place - and install the one from the AUR:

pamac build davinci-resolve

Do you mean that you downloaded the package from the DaVinci Resolve website and installed it manually, or did you install it via a package manager such as Pamac or yay or Octopi?

Direct from the website.run no aur, no snap …etc.

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                               [###########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                             [###########################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                  [###########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                            [###########################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
davinci-resolve: /usr/share/mime/packages/resolve.xml exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
 -> error installing: [/home/mamo/.cache/yay/davinci-resolve/davinci-resolve-18.6.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst] - exit status 1

after build with pamac build davinci-resolve still the same

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve                                                                                    INT ✘ 
    ~  LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so /opt/resolve/bin/resolve                                                   ✔ 
    ~                                                                                                                  ✔ 

Did you uninstall the version you installed using the .run file before installing via pamac build? If not, try the following commands as recommended on their Github site at flolu/davinci-resolve-linux: Setup Davinci Resolve on Linux an Fix Issues with Importing and Exporting Media:

sudo rm -f -r /opt/resolve
sudo rm -f -r ~/Documents/BlackmagicDesign

You could also remove it by running the same script you used to originally install it ( DaVinci_Resolve_XX.Y.Z_Linux.run) & choosing “Uninstall DaVinci Resolve” in the second step:

After the original Resolve download is uninstalled, try building it via pamac again.

Yes i did and removed all of them in cache …etc also! But still the same

I dunno :man_shrugging:. I’ve never used DaVinci Resolve & have never seen those error messages before. The only thing I can suggest is for you to have a read through the following AUR thread (make sure you read all the way to the end of the thread before you make any changes on your system). It could be GPU-related, it could be kernel-related (maybe try an earlier LTS kernel?), but hopefully you will find a fix in the AUR thread if no-one else here can come up with a solution.

[SOLVED]Davinci resolve 18 doesent work / AUR Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests / Arch Linux Forums

Edit: Also, (importantly), have a read through the Latest Comments (just below the pinned comment) on the AUR package page - probably worth doing every time you update your system & have to rebuild Resolve, as the pkgbuild maintainer may have to make changes & other Resolve users will likely notify them of any problems:

AUR (en) - davinci-resolve

I’ve done more than 123 works and render them with this machine and same configs. But after last manjaro update (3-5 days ago) got this issue which is unfix-able as i see in the forums.

I think the .run has old and/or incompatible stuff. There’s no way to be sure, since when I went to download it this morning to see what I could see, I was met with an

504 Gateway Time-out

So I honestly have no idea further.

I’ve tried with Yay Aur and with pamac AUT activation both of them are the same result!

Switch to 6.1 kernel.

Anything installed outside the package manager is unsupported and is unlikely to work for a longer period - if at all.

Even though the package manager supports installing from AUR, Flatpak and Snap - it is unsupported.

$ pamac search --aur davinci
davinci-resolve-studio-beta  18.5b4-1                              AUR
    Professional A/V post-production software suite from
    Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or
    license dongle.
davinci-resolve-studio  18.6.4-1                                   AUR
    Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or
    license dongle.
davinci-resolve-beta  18.5b4-1                                     AUR
    Blackmagic Design
davinci-resolve  18.6.4-1                                          AUR
    Blackmagic Design

For more information see → [Need-To-Know] About Manjaro and AUR

The issue has nothing to do with kernel and hardware stuff!