GLIBC out of date, keyring bugged

Hello everyone,

I started up my laptop after months of not using it, and tried running an update on it.

I ran up against many errors, such as packages that needed to be uninstalled such as libcanberra. But now, I can’t even upgrade my system let alone run many apps. Everytime I run a selection of apps like cmake or gpg, I am met with an error message gpg: /usr/lib/ version 'GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by gpg). My keyring is bugged, I tried following this Pacman troubleshooting - Manjaro to no avail. it worked up to 5. the first time, except I couldn’t do 2. because I apparently can’t install packages with a broken keyring…

Now sudo pacman-key --init doesn’t even work, since it uses gpg and gpg throws gpg: /usr/lib/ version 'GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by gpg) errors at me, resulting in a pacman-key error ==> ERROR: Trust database could not be updated.

If only I could update my glibc, maybe that would fix it? But how am I supposed to fix it if I can’t download stuff from pacman? Interestingly, sudo pacman -Sy works…

Can I even reboot my system safely? :frowning:

Edit: I managed to reboot safely :blush: , the problem remains though

Open terminal and run:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && pamac update

Sometimes helps to read this part of the announcements, at least

1 Like

You think I didn’t try that? I’ve done that multiple times and it didn’t work.
It looks like you stopped reading after my second sentence. I already removed that dependency issue but faced another problem; pamac didn’t help and in an effort of trying to update it, I had to remove pamac-common-dev which ended up breaking it. Which isn’t relevant anyways since I couldn’t get things working with it.

Sounds like your system is in a partial update state.
Either try

  • downgrading gpg by directly installing an older version from your package cache in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
  • or directly download the current glibc-package from a mirror and install it by hand

With any luck a full system update works after that.


Sorry about my previous comment, it was a bit rude, I didn’t have any sleep and was a bit stressed out.

I went to a mirror, found the glibc package and used sudo pacman -U pkg-location, it ended up fixing that erorr, but gpg was still throwing errors, so I ended up disabling pacman’s signature checking by setting SigLevel = Never in /etc/pacman.conf, doing a sudo pacman -Scc, installing pamac again and doing a sudo pamac update. It ended up working :slight_smile:

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.