Giving Up Manjaro

As a beginner, Manjaro is conditionally possible, but as you have noticed, you have to dive deeper into the subject, which may not be the case with Linux Mint. Of course, if you stay for a while, we will help you beyond this hurdle. However, if that is not the case, we wish you much success with other distributions and new experiences, and maybe you will come back soon and tell us about it.

2 Likes

I am lost for words! Please forgive if I do not ID all the folks who took time and trouble to reply to my OP. It is a humbling experience.

So, I owe it to you good folks not to throw in the towel. But, because I have work to do, I will install Mint Mate on the laptop as a second distro - I already use Mint Mate in a desktop. I realise that I will have to manage partitions in order to do this, so I can select the distro on the grub menu.

When I installed Manjaro Xfce, I imagined that I could just network the Manjaro laptop and share files/folders with the Mint Mate PC as the need arose. I can see now that this was not a good idea!

Many thanks again, merlok, klorax, Saeed_Iranzad, et al.

5 Likes

Remember to install Mint first and Manjaro second so that Manjaro’s Grub takes care of booting. Otherwise Mint’s Grub configuration cannot boot Manjaro without additional tweaks. After having installed Manjaro, boot to Mint and run sudo apt-get remove grub.

3 Likes

Better, at LM terminal, after installing Manjaro
sudo grub-install --force /dev/sdxy
where /dev/sdxy is LM partition.

1 Like

In case of legacy boot.

1 Like

In case of uefi/gpt, do nothing.
Do not remove grub. Must not remove grub.
Just change the bootorder.

2 Likes

This was a nice thread to read. Excellent attitudes & thoughtfulness.

2 Likes

Change the boot order in UEFI/BIOS, right?
But how to prevent that a kernel update in Mint makes Mint’s Grub override Manjaro’s?

PS: I had no probelms after removing grub package on UEFI isntalls, that’s why I recommended it.

You could install Mint without a bootloader. From the live usb, open a terminal an run the installer program with the following command:
ubiquity -b
Proceed as normal with the installation and you will see that you won’t be asked to choose a location for installation of the bootloader. Once all is done, reboot into Manjaro and run:
sudo update-grub
After each kernel update in Mint, you would need to update grub in Manjaro.

2 Likes

From my experience (2yrs)

Find a linux distro you like the look and feel of and stick with it.

All distros have their little quirks and nuances, yeah you might find another distro but you still have to learn it, so your back to square one with that distro, like you was with Manjaro.

IMHO Arch is the best linux base to learn its fast and has all the software you will ever need. While I can install archlinux from scratch (a great learning experience btw ) I choose to use Manjaro, its arch based and everything is pretty much setup and installed for me without jumping through to many hoops.

Coming from Windows myself I found the Mate desktop best for me, just the right amount of customization options should you wish to make it look how you want.

MATE DESKTOP:

1 Like

Some bios allow bootorder change at the uefi bios-setup.
So you can do that if available.
Otherwise and also, at any uefi linux terminal, we can reorder bootorder by
sudo efibootmgr -o xxxx,yyyy,zzzz,…

Where xxxx, yyyy, zzzz is the bootentry numbers of the respective OS’s.

As to any kernel updates at any linux OS, they don’t change the bootorder.
Neither does ‘update-grub’
But a new grub-install or a new grub version (necessitating a grub-install) will make that OS the default - or rather the start - of the bootorder. Then redo that 'efibootmgr -o ’ command again.
Note that regardless of whether any uefi OS is the start of bootorder, it can be booted up by selecting that bootentry in the boot key, usually F8~F12, unlike a bios-legacy system.

Hope this explains.

For UEFI systems, I would recommend a bootloader be installed in all OS’s. It needn’t be the ‘default’ as explained above. But yes, a uefi OS can be installed without a bootloader too, just with a pesky error message each time a kernel is installed.

For bios-legacy system, I too would recommend installing a bootloader, but set not to the mbr but to its own partition. All linux OS allows that, with a warning (good thing) if you do so.

2 Likes

As far as I know, if there is already an EFI -partition present on the disk, there is no way of making Ubiquity to install the bootloader on another EFI-partition (flagged esp, boot) even if you mark this second partition as the location for the installation of the bootloader.

Calamares does that. Not Ubiquity. It simply ignores this second EFI partition and install Grub always in the first EFI-partition it finds on the disk.

If I am not mistaken, this “bug” or rather deficiency of the working of Ubiquity is a longstanding issue and so far it seems that Canonical hasn’t bothered to remedy this.

If there is a way to work around this, I am ignorant of it. In those multi-boot systems that I have set up, Ubiquity always seems to have the last word in the choice of the location of the bootloader and lending the control of the Grub to Mint/Ubuntu.

Not in my experience, though. I have quite a number of Manjaro’s, a few Ubuntu’s and some others.
I have a few disks in all my systems and each disk have 3 or 4 $esp’s. And grub, systemd-boot and refind. :rofl: And I have bios-legacy as well as uefi systems.

If I tell ubiquity where to put its $esp, it obeys. Same as calamares and all other installers.
But I always do ‘manual’, ‘advanced’ or ‘whatever they call it’ installations; never ‘whole disk’, ‘default’, ‘automatic’ or ‘whatever they call it’. And in the many years of doing that, never had the installer choose an $esp for me.

I can only surmise that systems where Microsoft is tied in or nvme disk is used would there be problems like yours. Is your system one of them?

Me too, I choose “Something else” (as the manual option is called), and I have explicitly created a separate efi-partition for ubuntu/mint and have pointed the installer to this for the location of the bootloader. Can’t think of any step that I might have missed. I would give it a try another time to see if I can make it work. Until now Ubiquity seems to get the better of me always :angry:

Yes, in my current disk, I have first Win 10 and second Manjaro, each with it’s own efi-partition. After that comes several debian/ubuntu distros. None of them have I installed with it’s own bootloader. Manjaro is in charge of the bootloading process. In BIOS, I have two boot entries one for Manjaro at top and then one for Win.

I have to update Grub from Manjaro each time there is a kernel update in the other distros in order to be able to boot with the new kernel. The whole setup seems to be working quite satisfactorily.

If I remember correctly, I think in Ubuntu, you select a partition and then select mount point, which is /boot/efi. It does not specifically ask for $esp or “location of the bootloader” (and I think that’s for bios-legacy installs - in which case, disk mbr or OS partition). I think that’s the step you missed.

I don’t have to bother with that. No update-grub anywhere, only the system does it automatically with new kernels at that OS. And I disable os-prober. That’s because I use this and I have a separate $esp just for my own grub. Other OS’s have sym-links and I boot these. In Manjaro. I make my own sym-links as written in that link. If you have much more OS’s, you might want to try it.

Thanks @gohlip for further explanation!

I might very well have missed the step you mention. I will keep that in mind next time I am about to install another OS.

I will look into the other link you posted. I will surely try it at some point. For the time being , I think, I just leave it the way it is, of fear that I might break something, I have to admit. Let’s see when it’s time for new adventures.

Thanks again!
Marte

1 Like

In uefi boot, I like to have a bootloader for each distro and refind to manage them. Unless it is multiple manjaros. Then I don’t install bootloaders, I just choose boot them from

1 Like

Don’t leave us hanging!

… Refind. It just find new kernels and boots them. There is always one grub to boot isos and btrfs snapshots, but no need for for extra grubs between multiple manjaros. Of course, a single grub would accomplish the same.

But for different distros, it’s best for each to have their own bootloaders.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark