Give this Windows users some reasons why should he choose Manjaro over the more common distro for beginners - Ubuntu

Depending on whether or not they will need to install a lot of software, the AUR can be a benefit, it contains almost anything.

Honestly, I would NOT recommend Manjaro as first choice Linux Distro. Why? Windows-Users are generally or usually shielded to the max from any nerdy operating system particulars. Switching to Linux will, also in general, require them to adapt to a lot of new routines, concepts, etc. and will very likely also impose a change in their “software-stack” (Windows Program X does not exist in Linux … etc.).

That is, their learning curve will already be steep enough even if they do not have to get in touch with any Linux specific OS stuff. So the best Linux Distribution is the one that “pampers” them the most from Linux-specific OS nerdy things like :astonished: command line commands, or :fearful: compiling a program that is not in the repository …

Manjaro does a real good job in making Arch digestible, acessible, etc. but IMHO you still need too much Linux blood in your veins to really benefit from what Manjaro does. Example: gscan2pdf (only from AUR) recently stopped working because the dependent perl-packages (from AUR) needed recompilement due to changes in perl (from the repo). Get a noob to start gscan2pdf from the console to get the one line info why it broke to google that and search for a solution. With Ubuntu, gscan2pdf is in the regular repo (and also, if reasonably applied, you are well served with the PPAs). I also would not recommend a rolling release Distro to a newcomer. Maybe KDE Neon at best, because the base stays Ubuntu LTS.

So my advice would be: let them start with an Ubuntu LTS flavor, let them check out Mint Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE and let them “land” in Linux, let them enjoy the fact that their machine will not be shut down by a drive-by encryption worm, that the hunting for software in the entire internet is over (because almost everything is in Ubuntus repositories), let them adapt to the new environment and software stack, and if they feel comfortable and are willing to go a step further recommend Manjaro again.

Just my 2ct.

2 Likes

Sincerely you don’t have any reason. Even arch derivatives are not for total beginners. I know everyone one is throwing their preference and in my opinion there can be nice compromise.
If you use manjaro, most likely you will be using manjaro KDE. In that case KDE neon is a no brainier. You have the solid base of Ubuntu and vast package to select from and bleeding edge KDE, even many professionals this nowadays.
If you must abandon Ubuntu then, my second option is Solus. Budgie is a great DE and if you don’t like it, there is gnome, mate and kde (upcoming soon) to choose from. Trust me this os is very stable and fast. Only drawback you may be missing some softwares because of thier weird packaging system.
Overall, ubuntu derivatives are the best place to start Linux experience from. Welcome to this wonderful Linux world.

2 Likes

Solus is certainly a nice distro for newcomers, assuming the applications they will be using are already found in Solus’ smallish repositories. Plus it’s rolling so there is hopefully no need to ever reinstall again.

However, there is the planned switch to Qt5 coming up. Will the transition from gtk3 to Qt5 be as easy as the developers hope? I don’t know if I would want to have this uncertainty hanging over an installation done for a newcomer to Linux. I would probably hold off any such installations until after the transition has been smoothly completed.

1 Like

Be assured, it is already in beta and it has been shaped very nicely. Although the base qt, they are using gnomes applications and other dependencies, no no worries there.
A word of caution though, if you UEFI bootloader and hope to use multiple linux distribution then steer clear of Solus, they don’t use grub in uefi mode. You can boot windows and solus in that case and nothing else.
There is a solution but that is not new comer friendly.

1 Like

Is this reported anywhere? I didn’t know there was a beta for the Qt5 version.

I have a /boot/grub/custom.cfg in Manjaro that adds a boot entry for Solus. Since the Solus kernel is in a non-standard place, Manjaro grub cannot detect it. The custom grub entry is needed and it has to be changed everytime the kernel is updated.

3 Likes

The best thing in Manjaro is that You don’t have to use terminal, everything is in Pamac. You don’t need to compile apps or use ppa like in Ubuntu. Everything is in AUR in one click install.

1 Like

it is not accessible to public but solus does show it off in their google plus page.

2 Likes

Many users explain why they choose Manjaro here, take a read

No point people repeating themselves… :wink:

Ubuntu is moving to displaying ads in the fortune terminal messages, and repeated abuse with embedding
advertising directly in the operating system.

Aptitude and apt-get (Debian) and (.deb) still hits dependency hell, conflicts, and cannot upgrade packages.

Occult numerology is all over Ubuntu distributions including their end of life phone operating system
(the number 33 (G) in all their screen shots of the phone/tablet operating system).

Movement to SystemD which continues to subvert and consume other subsystems, and which then begins
to behave like a software system designed for a universal attack vector across systems (are they still pulling out kdbus?).

Yeah I’m probable violating some rule by posting this. X.x

3 Likes

Choosing Manjaro for yourself is not the same as suggesting it for people fresh from Windows. I wouldn’t do the latter.

2 Likes

There are a vast array of reasons for using Manjaro are in that thread. Read the thread, use your own brain, and choose what you think is appropriate to tell your friends.

Reasons for moving to Linux is a vastly different question than reasons for choosing Manjaro over other distros. So which one is it? Your forum title is a very different question than the first sentence of your original post.

Why move to Linux? Privacy for a start.

Is Manjaro a good first Linux distro? Opinions vary, but probably not.

For complete Linux novices a rolling Arch based distro is not a good idea, learning curve is very steep and that turns most people off. For these people Mint is a good starting point rather than Ubuntu. Of course there are some people who enjoy jumping in the deep end and reading & learning rapidly, but they tend to be the minority.

For people with a bit of Unix know how Manjaro is a great first distro, again see my linked thread for the wide array of reasons expressed within.

You want to convince your friends, get them to install VirtualBox on their non Linux systems and trial Linux distros like Manjaro in VMs. If you cannot explain it to them in words, maybe just show them what you like, then they can play with it themselves without having to bare metal install anything.

Why Manjaro over Ubuntu? Rolling release, kernel management, AUR vs PPA, Canonical trust issues… etc.

1 Like

but just remember that Arch upstream was the very first disto that simultaneously “subverted”/switched to systemD, along with IBM/RedHat.
It’s no coincedence is it?

1 Like

The init system part of systemd is good, why so many other subsystems are bolted on I don’t understand the benefit, as opposed to separating into their own daemons.

1 Like

It’s only as good as long as it’s supported. I think it’s a control mechanism for IBM/RHEL to rest more control from Linux.
On the other hamd, it’s invisible to “noob” users coming from Windows, also, it’s much easier for devs/admins , who understand “C” to manage this Linux binary-init system -and that’s the only apparent benefit of systemd.

Mmmm… cured pig daemon… :smiley:

I’ll take that as a “yes”. :wink:

Meh, the parallel unit load at startup is a benefit, as opposed to the old loading them serially.

Moving away from scripting I agree with, to a more structured definition language.

The bundling the init system with a kitchen sink of other modules (ie login , network, etc) seems a bit nefarious to me, and is done to benefit the authors like RH and not the Linux community.

Enough of that though, lets not hijack or derail this thread with another pointless systemd “discussion”.

I would personally start with Linux mint or Ubuntu if I was a beginner in Linux.
Justified that Linux mint and Ubuntu have an app store so you’re shredding and spending about 15 hours of googel and collecting all the programs he or she needs and then after a while move on to Manjaro later :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark