[git] Archtect CLI Installer fork for Manjaro (development & test)

cli
netinstall
git

After many attempts, I conclude that installing kernels with mhwd-kernel just doesn’t work properly in chroot. I’ll just install chosen kernels and their ndiswrappers with pacstrap then.

In the local branch, I have now implemented following features:

• choosable kernels are generated with mhwd-kernel -l. This means that a) all kernels are available b) only kernels suitable for your architecture and branch can be selected c) I don’t need to manually update the installer as new kernels come and old ones are removed
  • manjaro editions list is dynamically generated from available profiles, so as profiles are added to the iso-profiles repo, they automatically become available.

Now I just need to fix the base installation for this…

I was thinking that maybe I should do away with the basic/advanced selection. The base installation could be like this:

• choose systemd/openrc
  • choose edition. Have netinstall as an option.

This would simplify usage and code, and lead to less pacstraps.

Will the user then be supposed to take care of extramodules?

It’s complicated. For me, mhwd installs the kernel and corresponding ndiswrapper and that’s it. Virtualbox modules too, depending on stuff. I would imagine most of the other stuff is graphics card related, and that part works. But currently I don’t see how to make mhwd-kernel do its job in chroot. It has not done anything thus far.

Ok, if s.o. wants to use a cli installer they need to know which extramodules (wifi, for example) they need and can install them separately.

Hmm… That’s no good. I need to figure this out somehow.

Maybe an extra kernel is needed. Mhwd-kernel fails to install anything when just mhwd and it’s dependencies are installed. It also refuses to install a kernel that is already installed.

So… Assuming it actually works when the whole base is installed…

• Install the whole base group, let it pull linux310.
    -> run mhwd-kernel -i for chosen kernels, except linux310 if it was chosen
    -> remove linux310 unless it was chosen by user.

I’ll try if this even works. It feels hackish and causes unnecessary 70mb download, but at least for the theory…

I would prefer linux 44 not only is it LTS it is currently the only recommended kernel

Would it not be the easiest to exclude the kernel dependency from the base group? I mean, what if s.o. wants to run Manjaro on GnuMach+Hurd ?

Tell me more how to do this

The next release lets you choose from all kernels.

@eugen-b I can’t figure out how to get mhwd-kernel work in chroot. How about just installing all available kernel modules for chosen kernels? Like “linux44-*”. This would give some unnecessary bloat, but would ensure everyone gets their necessary modules. Another alternative that comes to mind is letting user select their modules by himself. Another option is to try to automatically determine the needed modules and download only them. I’m not quite sure how to do that at the moment, but the installer has option to display the wireless device, so I could try to grep that.

Trying now to make a menu for modules after kernel choice. It is less user friendly option, but easiest to implement (besides just installing everything)

As a bonus, we can know that it works for virtualbox, and user can get zfs if they want it.

Well, I see only manjaro-system pulling a kernel as dependency. Will look into pacman syntax how to exclude manjaro-system when installing base group.
Edit: The opiton --assume-installed linux310 might help.

(I can tell you, that I would not be sure which extramodules to install if s.o. asked me. I’m lucky that my systems usually don’t need any of them.)

Luckily some of them are easy to know. Virtualbox and zfs you know if you need, and Broadcom should be easy to figure out. You need tp_smapi if you have ThinkPad.
r8168 is for some Realtek models and rt3562sta is for ralink. Most of the other stuff can be assumed to be so rare that those need it know it. Catalyst and Nvidia are handled by mhwd properly.

I set some options that I imagine are common on by default.

This is how the menu looks in script at the moment:

# Choose wanted kernel modules
dialog --backtitle "$VERSION - $SYSTEM ($ARCHI)" --title " Choose additional modules for your kernels" --checklist "$_UseSpaceBar" 0 0 14 \
"KERNEL-headers" "-" on \
"KERNEL-acpi_call" "-" on \
"KERNEL-ndiswrapper" "-" on \
"KERNEL-broadcom-wl" "-" off \
"KERNEL-r8168" "-" off \
"KERNEL-rt3562sta" "-" off \
"KERNEL-tp_smapi" "-" off \
"KERNEL-vhba-module" "-" off \
"KERNEL-virtualbox-guest-modules" "-" off \
"KERNEL-virtualbox-host-modules" "-" off \
"KERNEL-spl" "-" off \
"KERNEL-zfs" "-" off 2>/tmp/.modules

Okay, I implemented following changes in local branch:

• merged base and manjaro-destop installation
  • Added menu to install kernel modules

It seems to work, but I’ll test it a bit before I´ll upload it.

It did not quite work. I have uploaded the changed base installation part to github, but I could not merge it with manjaro desktop installation yet. Maybe I’ll keep them separate for now.

There have been some major updates that should make the base installation and manjaro desktop installation work. Please test if you have time.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: [experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

before download, i wanna ask???

• is internet connection suport usb tethering via command “wifi-menu” cause i have no lan on home???

[experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

The manjaro-architect connects to internet with nmtui if you don’t have lan connection. Just run

setup

and it takes you to nmtui if needed. Nmtui is similar to wifi-menu, but possibly even easier to use.

[experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Installation with Manjaro-Architect ISO