Gimp Flatpak install

System: Gigabyte Z87xoC; 4th Intel Haswell i7, Nvidia RTX Geforce 760, 32 GB Ram Corsair Ripjaws: Manjaro 5.13 XCFE
Good afternoon all!

I’m customizing my fresh installation of Manjaro here and I’m trying to become familiar with Manjaro. I have had some great help in the last few days. I’m hoping I can have some input here on trying to install Gimp flatpak, which seems a bit different than when I have tried to install on another distribution. I normally see the gear icon on the desktop and click on it and the app quickly launches. I couldn’t seem to do that here and instead, installed it by command line. But I don’t see an icon on how to launch, which is what I’m used to. Below is the terminal output following the complete install. I would like to know where the flatpak icon may be found, bc I don’t see it anywhere. My intention is to install the github customization of photogimp to transition my workflow from adobe products.

ID                                           Branch Op Remote  Download
 1. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default          20.08  i  flathub 105.8 MB / 106.4 MB
 2. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-470-63-01 1.4    i  flathub 223.3 MB / 223.4 MB
 3. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264            2.0    i  flathub   1.5 MB / 1.5 MB
 4. [✓] org.gimp.GIMP.Manual                         2.10   i  flathub  48.4 MB / 876.5 MB
 5. [✓] org.gnome.Platform.Locale                    40     i  flathub  17.7 kB / 333.8 MB
 6. [✓] org.gnome.Platform                           40     i  flathub 313.6 MB / 363.9 MB
 7. [✓] org.gimp.GIMP                                stable i  flathub  94.1 MB / 121.3 MB

Installation complete.
[oscar@oscar-z87xoc ~]$ flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP//stable
Gtk-Message: 13:16:14.441: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:16:14.441: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:16:15.974: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:16:15.974: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[oscar@oscar-z87xoc ~]$ 
                    ~~~
I USED THIS WEBSITE:    https://www.gimp.org/downloads/;  I cut and past that command to install when the download button didn't do anything.

Why don’t you use gimp from the official Manjaro repos?

Thanks for the reply. I’m still a bit lost. I’m not sure what the difference between the repo and add/remove software is -or if there is a difference. The reason for trying to do what I described above is in order to install that photogimp plugin which requires the flatpak.
Thanks!!!

Add/Remove Software (also named Package Manager) is the graphical frontend for Pamac, which is Manjaro’s package manager. It manages packages from the official repositories, but also has third-party support for the AUR (user repository), Flatpak, and Snap.

Looks like it’s available as a Snap package, which you can install from Add/Remove Software. Go to Preferences and enable Snap support, then refresh. Search for “photogimp” and it should display in the results.

Not sure if it requires you to install GIMP separately, but maybe give it a try without installing GIMP first?

Certainly helpful! Thank you, maybe something has changed since the requirement to install gimp as a flatpak. Thats great! thanks! will update soon!

I don’t see snap on my add remove programs, so I downloaded snap-pac 3.0 after looking but can’t get it to do what you said. What am I doing wrong here? How can I get this to download?

K don’t know, I found the command line to install snap then found the command line to install photogimp. I hope all this downloading doesn’t confuse the system and have my OS start acting strange. Will update

Hmmm…Seemed to work after I opened for the first time. gonna restart…see if any issues. I had had so many issues with this before in the past

You can enable Snap support by going to Add/Remove Software → clicking on the :hamburger: in the top right corner → PreferencesThird Party

Hi!

In my case there is no option for Snap support or Flatpak under Preferences - Third Party. Why this can be the case? Can this be because I chose minimal Manjaro Gnome installation?

What I’ve done so far, followed trough instructions in Wiki for Flatpak setup. But these steps don’t work quite well for me. Flatpak requires gnome-software to be installed, that’s separate peace of software just for flatpaks, and, in addition, installed apps do not appear anywhere and can’t be launched.

In Pamac I installed libpamac-flatpak-plugin and then I enabled it in preferences.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response!

This does the job. I’ve undone previous operations and installed libpamac-flatpak-plugin. Now I can enable Flatpaks, option is shown in preferences.
But… I have issue that I can not install a Flatpak. I hit Apply but nothing happens. No errors, no messages, it just stays at pending stage. :thinking:

I don’t know if it installed it when you installed the plugin but also make sure flatpak is installed.

Weirdly enough, today pamac is installing flatpaks as it should. Did nothing about it since yesterday. Turned on PC, opened software manager to check again if it’s working and it is. Even though I did reboot yesterday and it didn’t help. Well, let’s call it magic :sparkles:. Thanks!