Getting Hardware accelerated decode in various software in manjaro after recent changes in Mesa

I thought the same question yesterday and researched, but Nvidia, Intel and AMD are not in the List of the H.265 licensees: https://www.mpegla.com/programs/hevc/licensees/

I do not think Nvidia, AMD and Intel paid for it. But I figured MPEG LA would pay or help Nvidia, Intel and AMD to build its own H265 and H264 in their hardware and advertised the codecs to the whole world. That’s why MPEG LA is the problem with some Linux distros.

Plugging your ears and going “la-la-la-la-canthearyou” when being told that even the software decoders/encoders violate the patents is definitely not the solution either.

Other distros with competent legal teams have already solved this problem. You already have a “community” repository don’t you? Move the stuff there and leave it disabled by default and you’re on par with Ubuntu legally.

1 Like

The community repo is enabled by default.

You are not taking into account that maintaining yet another repo now for non-free-patented packages and the accompanying work in maintaining those packages.

I am glad I have retired from that stuff - I don’t see another repo happen for that sole purpose.

And your reference to software encoding is not valid - as this is usually in the browser or another application where the vendor of the software has the liability.

You are wearing your consumer hat - you appear to have forgotten that Manjaro as a distribution is a community project driven by a few dedicated maintainers.

The Manjaro business project is two people @philm and @oberon.

From a consumer point of view I understand your frustration but you are not a consumer in this context. A consumer has paid a fee for the software and you haven’t paid a dime for the usage of Manjaro.

So whatever decision the team makes to keep the distribution in a maintainable state - I really don’t have a problem with that - but I don’t see myself as consumer either - at least not in this context.

So if you are that eager to have it your way - by all means go ahead - maintain a repo of packages as you see fit - but don’t demand Manjaro to do it for you.

Because I don’t maintain the distro. I don’t have the means to modify calamares or pamac. And if I wished to be a maintainer, i would have started my own distro long ago. Also, i don’t lose anything. Its the distro that suffers, by being less competitive and accessible in features compared to others.

This is your misinformation. User only needs to download it manually (source or binary). There is no obligation to compile it.

I know that. I have already switched to a different distro that does an better job on my amd hardware. However, doing something just for the sake of doing is useless. I hate when open source projects start beating this drum. It is no excuse to do a bad job, provided when there are literal examples all around on how the job can be done well

3 Likes

Then it needs to be removed for Intel and nVidia users, too.

From what I understand (and I’m repeating myself, admittedly): Fedora took out hardware acceleration from Mesa because it doesn’t ship proprietary codecs by default, but did so through Mesa’s hardware acceleration, allegedly due to an oversight. By patching Mesa, they made it behave consistently with the rest of their approach.
Manjaro, otoh, removes only hardware acceleration through Mesa but leaves all the other potential patent violations in place (including other hardware acceleration paths).
That does seem a bit strange, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

You’re saying the x264 and x265 packages being in your default repository is not a violation of the patent? Might want to run that by some qualified legal professionals.

I’m not asking for anything other than consistency. Remove all patented-encumbered packages from default repositories or remove none of them, it is really simple.

So far you’ve only admitted to knowing that patents are an issue while not actually resolving the issue. Doesn’t put you in a good place, legally speaking. Also looks really bad to the users.

8 Likes

Manjaro appears to be making decisions for the community project on the basis of the needs of the business project. That would make the community project unpaid interns, rather than a community project.

7 Likes

I agree there has been created a blurry line - because the company Manjaro GMBH clashes with the Manjaro community.

I recall @philm joking on the company name subject - and in light of the recent change - I think the time has come for the business to reflect the difference.

I really think that the Manjaro business project would benefit take a short distance - rename itself to make a clear statement - something Redhat did when they created Fedora as community edition.

Kilimanjaro is a mountain in Tanzania - so is Meru …

Meru / Manjaro - then the community could have the full mesa and the Meru project could run a Meru Rock branch which is then pushed to then partners.

Or the Manjaro community could be renamed to Meru …

4 Likes

I wonder where the question dodged counter is at …?

1 Like

The topic is on how to get hardware accelerated decode in various software …

Based on @philm 's response earlier and in other topics - the answer is DIY - perhaps that will change - I don’t know.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.