General questions about using gparted and manual manjaro/linux installations

I am glad that the EFI boot worked out for you! :slight_smile:

Also… I can’t imagine running 4 or 5 OS using Legacy boot o o"

Looks like you’re learning much more stuff than many of us in a short week. Pretty soon you will be able to teach the seasoned guys here a thing or two. :grin:

I tried rEFInd for a very short time and some time ago. The process may have improved much. So my knowledge here may not be as up to date. @Chrysostomus may be better in answering you on this. But to answer your question on chainloading, it boots the OS grubx64.efi file in your $esp. Check all the OS directories in /boot/efi/EFI/, inside each of the OS directory, you’ll find the grubx64.efi file and rEFInd boots these. FYI, grub2 can also boot these files using the chainload command, but by default, it boots the kernels directly. grub2 can also boot the core.efi (or core.img) file in the first sector of the OS partition, which grub-legacy calls the ‘stage 1.5’.

There is another bootloader called ‘systemd boot’ (aka bootctl). Whereas rEFInd $esp can be either /boot/efi or /boot, systemd boot $esp must be /boot. And it boots the kernels not the grubx64.efi files.

Personally, I prefer grub2 above all else because it has lots of ‘abilities’ and help out when boot goes awry. But it is possible I prefer it because of personal bias. :slight_smile:

Ah… I see @realmain here has responded, perhaps he can add a thing or two on rEFEnd.
Cheers.

@gohlip Unfortunately, I haven’t used rEFInd in a long time because I used to have issues setting it up back then. So I wouldn’t be able to help @yoadam much here. But I’ve heard great things about rEFInd these days so I might give it a try again.

Others will have to help yoadam for today :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you guys for the replies: let me be extra clear:

I am using refind to load each grub2 respective loader for each operating system. It’s acting as a loader for my loaders! That is an OKAY way to do this, right? It all seems to be working!

I noticed that I can skip refinder and boot straight to grub2 for each OS also from my dell bios screen (F12 on startup)

Oh, dude, refind was TOO EASY.
$ sudo pacman -S refind-efi
$ refind-install
DONE.
After you test it, google for a theme, and how to choose which you want on your boot screen. I opted to remove the kernel options from boot and only use it to load grub2, this way it stays up to date without maintenance, as the name of the grub does not change, and grub2 obviously will update automatically when the OS installs new kernel versions. Everything should be automatic.

edit: refind has an iso you use from a USB to see if you like it, as well, without requiring anything be installed on your system.

edit: FYI, I ran those pacman install commands on an antergos installation, not manjaro, if it is relevant or not, I am not sure, I have no tested refind on manjaro.

That’s because you also have grub2 installed to the OS as well as rEFInd. And uefi bios lets you select (F12 to you - F10 to most) which you can use for booting.[quote=“yoadam, post:24, topic:23061”]
I am using refind to load each grub2 respective loader for each operating system. I
[/quote]

That’s because the file grubx64.efi in each OS directory /boot/efi/EFI/OSname/ ‘boots’ the grub system. (notice the name ‘grub’ in grubx64.efi). (Another reason why I prefer grub2 - it boots by itself).

Cheers.

A bootloader loading a bootloader? I have never tried that so don’t know o o

Yes, because rEFInd scans for kernels upon every boot.

Here are some points that the rEFInd maintainer has pointed out. @gohlip, you might want to read this too if you want to read this too to see some of the pointers :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t used rEFInd in a LONG time, so it must be A LOT better now than before haha. I LOVE the themes that people have made with it though. I’ll try it sometime soon.

With my setup, I’m not scanning for kernels, I turned that off, I’m only loading the grubs. =)

Well… whenever you install a new kernel (mostly with the multi-kernel from Manjaro), you still probably have to do sudo update-grub to update that specific grub don’t you? Whereas using the rEFInd option, it’ll do it automatically.

Yes I do, but actually, if I am not mistaken, upon install of said new kernel, linux automatically runs update-grub, so there is no maintenance needed on my part still,.

It didn’t do that for me when I’ve tried it on Manjaro, after installing Kernel 4.11 :confused:

I had to go back in and do sudo update-grub.

Thanks. I also do not need to ‘update-grub’ using grub2. [1]

Here’s how I do it.
And it boots the latest kernels or if I wish to, I can boot older kernels which (I think) reEFInd cannot. Or boot funny parameters or…lots more, boot isofiles, chainload, multiboot,…grub-legacy syslinux…

[edit]
[1] - Or you can multiboot, chainload (effectively that’s what rEFInd does) or configfile to avoid ‘update-grub’

LOL now you’re telling me it’s possible to have an OS independant grub2 loader?! I wish I knew this last week. I will stick with refind to manage my grub2 loaders until further notice, however, unless I can come up with a good reason for starting all over again!

From here, the link before, the maintainer says:

Because [rEFInd] scans for kernels on every boot, rEFInd is more adaptive and is less reliant on configuration files. This is most important if you’re booting multiple Linux distributions, since in such a setup, you need to take care that the main GRUB’s configuration file knows about changes to the other distribution’s kernels.

So it sounds like it scans every kernel and puts it into the bootloader.

Ha Ha. You didn’t ask. :grinning: But seriously, even experienced users don’t use it. And for 3 or less OS’s, even I don’t think it is necessary.

That is definitely correct. I only set mine because I wanted it to only load the grub2 loaders. It was previously set to find all the kernels in addition to the grub2 loaders, but the kernels make the loading page appear messy, and it bothered me. =]

I think he’s referring to scanning multiple OS’s, not kernels within an OS.

I can confirm that by default refind displays each and every kernel on the refind boot page in addition to the OS grub2 loaders.

edit: or atleast it displayed some kernels, maybe not all of them, I cannot remember!

You could probably set it up to be cleaner, when you are bored one day, want to design all of your rEFInd, and drop grub2 loaders haha.

I skimmed through the internet (pics and vids), it looks like it lists every kernel for each OS (shows up differently depending on the theme).

Maybe so, but I also like having grub2, if not only because it’s a typical default linux install uses grub2, and I feel like I have the protection of the herd, should things ever go to heck. I know this refind adds a layer of complexity, but it seems a small one, since I can easily bypass it straight into grub2 from my bios (F10/F12…)

Forum kindly sponsored by