Full System Backup

Open a terminal and type “uname -r”, that’ll show you the information.

My kernel is: 4.4.11-1-MANJARO

How is it formatted? Linux, NTFS,…? And could it have been created as root, but you are trying to access it as a regular user?

I wonder if upgrading the kernel to 4.5.5 would help. I needed to update it to be able to see and use my USB thumb drive. That’s pretty easy with the Manjaro tool to do so.

I installed the suggested kernel. Rebooted. It’s installed, but the system isn’t using it.

Clonezilla is the way to go for what you want.

This is my 5-step workflow for backing up my Manjaro system using Clonezilla:

I make a backup of my system before every cycle of Manjaro updates (roughly once every 2 weeks) - and before fiddling with my system in a way that could break it.

The way I make these backups is as follows.

1. Boot the Manjaro live installation media (from a usb stick for example)

2. Install Clonezilla via Manjaro’s package manager. (use the Manjaro repositories just to be safe, not the AUR)

3. Attach an external backup drive to the PC

4. Open a terminal window and type: sudo clonezilla

5. Run through the steps in Clonezilla to make a backup image of your Manjaro installation (source drive). And make sure you store the Clonezilla backup image in a folder located in the root of the external drive. (the latter is important or it won’t work)

That’s it. To recover the image, do the same, but instead run the procedure in Clonezilla to copy the backup image to your main drive. (via expert mode)

You will find that after a restore, Grub will be broken and needs to be reinstalled and updated. You can use my tutorial to do exactly that:

System re-install..excluding the data, possible?
Serious Upgrade Problem

Some backup programs need your destination disk/drive to either be mounted or unmounted to be able to detect or select it. This can differ per backup utility.

If I remember correctly, Clonezilla only lists destination disks/drives that were initially unmounted before Clonezilla was started.

As said, this can differ per backup utility.

You can look up online on how to mount or unmount a disk/drive in Linux. To see all your disks/drives regardless of whether they are mounted or unmounted, type the following command in a terminal:

lsblk

To then see which disks/drives of that list are mounted, type the following command:

df

This tutorial also might be of help to you:

When grub menu comes up choose ADVANCED and select the newest kernel. Then from now on system will use it.

By the way, here’s how you mount and unmount disks/drives:

Mount a drive:
sudo mount /dev/sdX /mnt

Unmount a drive:
sudo umount /dev/sdX

What is mounting you might ask? Mounting is taking the file tree structure of a device and placing it into a directory. So in this case you place the contents of drive sdX into the directory /mnt.

That’s it.

I use Timeshift which is a GUI program like system restore in Windows.

The one in Aur ? What Desktop are you using with it? I can’t get it to run correctly in Plasma 5

How do you restore your Manjaro installation using Timeshift when your system breaks and doesn’t even boot though?

With Clonezilla you boot into the live cd and restore your system from the backup image you made earlier. (which you stored on an external disk for example)

I’m interested in using timeshift, but if the system becomes unbootable, how do you recover?

I’m dual booting with refind. I no longer see grub. Is there another way?

For that I recommend Clonezilla. See my earlier posts that explain the process.

That being said, I’m wondering the same thing as you in regards to Timeshift.

I haven’t considered what will happen with rEFind when I restore with these software packages. Do you think it wiil break my dual boot? You think I’ll be fine with Clonezilla?

Clonezilla makes an exact clone of your disk and stores it in an “image” file, which you can later restore to your disk.

I have done this many times and it backed up and restored my disk and Manjaro installation exactly 1 on 1.

The only thing that needs to be done after a restore is to reinstall and update Grub, however since you don’t use Grub, I’m not sure how that would work with rEFind.

If you’re lucky, no additional steps like reinstalling rEFind will be needed. However I’m unsure to give you an answer on that. Perhaps there is a way for you to safely try it, without affecting your system. Like restoring to a secondary disk for example, just to see if it works, without affecting your actual Manjaro installation.

Timeshift can also create a clone of the system. I created a clone on a flash drive and that can be booted and run if your main install becomes unbootable. The flash drive has Timeshift on it and can be cloned back onto your hard drive, or a backup can be restored from another partition. A Manjaro install CD/USB could be used similarly (just boot, install Timeshift, then restore your backup from wherever to wherever).

The Timeshift “clone” feature is nice in that it doesn’t require (or create) an identical sized partition (like dd), just creates a working copy of the system files.

The other nice thing about Timeshift is that the backups and clones are browsable (not compressed or img files) so you could look at and manually copy any files from a backup.

What if your disk consists of multiple partitions, like a boot partition, swap etc. Does Timeshift clone those as well, including the master boot record?