FSTRIM broke my ssd

Hi everyone

i had my /home partition mounted on a M2 SSD.
Just after the boot up, i made a fstrim /home from CLI, after a long time (1 month at least) since the last time.

Suddenly the SSD seemed broken. At reboot i get a POST error:

2101: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)

I commented the fstab row and restored a old backup under /home, so Manjaro booted up.
Neither Gnome Disks nor Gparted sees my m2 drive.

According to your experience, could a fstrim cause that? Or it was just defective and i can ask for warranty coverage?

From man fstrim

DESCRIPTION
       fstrim  is  used  on  a mounted filesystem to discard (or "trim") blocks which are not in use by the
       filesystem.  This is useful for solid-state drives (SSDs) and thinly-provisioned storage.

By default, fstrim will discard all unused blocks in the filesystem.  Options may be used to  modify
       this behavior based on range or size, as explained below.

The mountpoint argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted.

Running  fstrim  frequently, or even using mount -o discard, might negatively affect the lifetime of
       poor-quality SSD devices.  For most desktop and server systems a sufficient  trimming  frequency  is
       once a week.  Note that not all devices support a queued trim, so each trim command incurs a perfor‐
       mance penalty on whatever else might be trying to use the disk at the time.

Try and see what you get

If it did it's a first for me. Virtually everybody with a SSD uses a weekly trim timer without issue. If it's covered under warranty then I'd give that a go.

1 Like

It most definitely does not. All my systems do weekly fstrim per systemd - Job and no SSD failed me so far (I only use Samsung SSD's) - The oldest SSD that I still have running is 7 years in use and still no issues. My oldest m.2 SSD is now nearly 2 years in use and still works like a charm.

1 Like

SSDs occasionally just die though. I had one kick the bucket within a year with only minimal use: it was in a laptop I only very infrequently use.

So, just to make sure it's dead, try it on another motherboard or with an adapter. Then, sure, go for the warranty.

I concur with the others this is not likely caused by trimming the device by itself. That probably was coincidence or just pushing the drive over the edge of what it could take and it would have died soon anyhow.

1 Like

This sound as a good "memento backup" :smiley:

Thank you all for your replies, i'll go for the warranty :crossed_fingers:

Please do, with drives supporting TRIM, all it does is send a command to the SSD internal controller to clean up blocks marked for file deletion, which it then does in a safe manner. It doesn't do anything the drive would not tolerate. You've got a dying/dead SSD there.

fstrim timer is actually better to use than discard. if discard was in your fstab it shouldn't have been, as that would allow continuous trim on demand when files are deleted.

As the BIOS doesn't recognize the drive any more, it's hard to say for 100% sure that the fstrim was the straw that broke the camel's back after the fact.

If you have a model number of your M2, search for that and the word MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) or try reseating it in an external drive enclosure and run smartctl if it's detected there.

You're right, i thinked so because the failure happened just after the fstrim.

Booted up, switched to TTY with CTRL ALT F2, launched fstrim /home. It took about 2 seconds. After switched back to X, logged in into GNOME. My profile was loaded without problem, but in a short time the system became... Crazy. Opening Nautilus, shows up my home dir, but opening a folder failed. I rebooted and the bios no more recognized my ssd, even in Lenovo Diagnostics' System information.

I'll buy an adapter and try, sending it back to producer for warranty is really expensive :frowning:

1 Like

You should have run smartctl --all /dev/szDevName immediately... (where szDevName is the device name of your M2). But it looks like it's broken anyway...

:sob:

Forum kindly sponsored by