Frozen OS on first Login

I just installed manjaro 18.04 xfce as a dual boot with a windows 10 on my Dell G3 laptop with a i7-8750H and GTX1050 Ti. I got it installed smoothly but after I restarted I tried logging in and the OS froze, I couldn’t move the mouse and there was no indication the system was doing anything, the background and cursor still showed. Is this a driver issue? or a problem with my installation?

Specs
Intel i7-8750H
Intel UHD Graphics 630

Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Samsung M.2 SSD

16GB ram

Try this:

sudo systemctl enable haveged

restart.

how do I get to the terminal from the login

CTRL+ALT+F3

Otherwise you must do it from the grub prompt which is a little more complicated to explain.

I did CTRL + ALT + F3 and nothing happened so I tired CTRL + ALT + F3 and my screen went black

How to boot to a TTY in single user mode (run level 3).

Start your system and wait for the GRUB menu to show.

If you don't see a GRUB menu, press and hold the left Shift key (or ESC) key after starting the system.

Once the grub menu appears, select the kernel you want to use, and then press the "e" key.

You should now be able to edit the list of boot commands associated with the selected kernel.

Scroll down to the begining of the line starting with "linux" using the arrow key.

Press the “End” key, or use the arrow key, to get to the end of this line.

Be sure there is a space, then add the number 3 to the to the end of the line starting with "linux".

The line should now look somewhat similar to this after editing:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=978e3e81-8048-4ae1-8a06-aa727458e8ff quiet splash 3

Then press CTRL+X or F10 to continue booting.

At the prompt log in as your normal user (not root).

i’m testing it now
my line says

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 root=UUID=*** rw quiet 3

*** was an abbreviation

okay I have completed that command how do I get back to the gui login

I got back to the gui but after login it still freezes

I was able to login, I had to change to the kernel under advanced that hair fallback at the end

1 Like

It froze again once I attempted to launch the package manager

Perhaps try installing and testing some different kernels.

Terminal commands to install kernels:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux414

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux419

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux44

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux49

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux51

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux52

You may need to add kernel boot parameters or change your graphics setup. Perhaps someone like @dglt could help you with that. Graphics setup on an optimus laptop is what he excels at. I am not worthy in comparison to deal in these matters.

Okay thank you for your help I will try all of these

1 Like

Perhaps @bogdancovaciu might be good enough to offer you a little advice.

1 Like

Have a look here

The 4 to 6 is the part that you should follow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.