Frozen on Manjaro startup after moving HDD to new laptop

After a hardware failure, I moved my Manjaro hardrive to a new laptop (similar model hardware).

There is no other OS on the drive, just Manjaro (with KDE+Wayland), with an EFI partition.
There is a luks-ecrypted swap partition, a luks-encrypted home partition and an uncrypted / partition.

After starting up the new laptop, the process hangs on the Manjaro screen the one with the manufacturer’s logo and 3 dots across the middle moving.

Upon pressing ESC to see what the loading error is the message is:

ERROR: resume: hibernation device '/dev/mapper/luks-8453XXXX' not found
ERROR: device 'UUID=4f18XXXX' not found. Skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=4f18XXXX
ERROR: Failed to mount 'UUID=4f18XXXX' on real root
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ~]#

By booting via a Manjaro live-usb, I’ve checked that the UUID’s match up in:
blkid
fstab
lsblk
And the UUIDs do match.

I even tried reinstalling grub (via manjaro-chroot -a ) with no luck

lsblk -f

UUID=4DAB-XXXX                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
/dev/mapper/luks-8453XXXX swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 0
UUID=4f18XXXX /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/luks-68dcXXXX /home          ext4    defaults,noatime 0 2
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

blkid

/dev/loop1: BLOCK_SIZE="262144" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/nvme0n1p3: UUID="68dcXXXX" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="5e76XXXX"
/dev/nvme0n1p1: UUID="4DABXXXX" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="73d3XXXX"
/dev/nvme0n1p4: UUID="8453XXXX" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="f137XXXX"
/dev/nvme0n1p2: UUID="4f18XXXX" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="1f5dXXXX"
/dev/loop2: BLOCK_SIZE="262144" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop0: BLOCK_SIZE="262144" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="MISO_EFI" LABEL="MISO_EFI" UUID="09D0-669F" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda1: BLOCK_SIZE="2048" UUID="2023-09-11-08-56-49-00" LABEL="MANJARO_KDE_2301" TYPE="iso9660"
/dev/loop3: BLOCK_SIZE="262144" TYPE="squashfs"

Probably won’t help but my desktop will sometimes do that. Logo.3 dots then black screen for 1-2 seconds then the 3 dots come back. Then another 1-2 seconds & it boots.

Sometimes though it will just hang there with the 3 dots. So I then ctlr+alt+delete. System will then reboot & most of the time it boots up. If it does it again I ctlr+alt+delete until it does.

Thanks,alas that’s not the issue in this case, have waited at great length, plus the console text when pressing ESC shows that the partitions are not found so Manjaro can’t be loaded.

Well I’ve figured the problem.

The BIOS was set to run as RAID rather than AHCI!

I figured I’d checked thoroughly, but missed that :person_facepalming:t4:

It now works just fine :tada:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.