From NVIDIA to AMD

That will be for tomorrow! But doing it this way would make it impossible for both cards to run simultaneously I suppose. :worried:

Would this be worth looking into?

I was thinking more for testing for now. I’m getting out my league and I agree with you wholeheartedly about tomorrow, but I’ll be out all day, so good luck. :slight_smile:

Hybrid is a bit different, I don’t believe it would help.

Perhaps @bogdancovaciu would know more.

Well I really appreciate you helping me out! I will test it tomorrow and see if it will show me a login screen :slight_smile:. Thank you - I will let you know how it turns out!

Hey,
In principle, you should not have any config file with AMD and Nvidia GPU, and just try to boot with nomodeset parameter. Or if you want a fixed layout, then you will have to create a custom config, that has both GPUs included, but that is a bit tricky and right now i can only recall this topic from archived forum

Maybe you can find something useful there.

1 Like

Thank you! Wouldn’t it be a start to make the AMD GPU work on its own and then do the configuration with both of them mounted afterwards? Just me thinking out loud.

As promised. Good news. It works. Although I needed to remove cuda and the nvidia driver. I tried out different things, and it didn’t instantly work just after removing the mentioned packages.

I renamed the following files:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf/etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

/etc/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf/etc/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf.bak

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf.bak

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf

Where the last two renames did the trick! I’m not sure if I would need them all, I might try and change them back to see how it turns out.

1 Like

To the people interested,

I have successfully made both cards work.

Initially I had my AMD card setup working with the video-linux driver, and I mounted the NVIDIA card as well. Both cards were recognized and I installed the video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime driver which seemed to make both cards work flawlessly. To have CUDA working on the NVIDIA and OpenCL working on the AMD, packages were obviously installed in order to accomplish that.

Dunno if @dmt or @bogdancovaciu even cares about this, but I would just mention it in case anyone else find themselves in a situation like this.

1 Like