Fresh installation on new HP laptop gets "Failed to start light display manager" error msg

Hi guys.

After many years happily using Manjaro on an old Acer laptop, it was finally time to get a new laptop with a decent CPU.

I got a HP Laptop 15s-eq1023np with an AMD Ryzen 7 4700u CPU and an integrated Radeon RX Vega 7 integrated graphics GPU.

Manjaro (XFCE 20.2.1) installed super fast (only 2 minutes) but after reboot I got a blank screen with an error mensage:

“Failed to start light display manager”

After searching online, it seems that this error is somewhat common. The solution I found is to manually start lightdm every time the laptop boots.

1. Opening the tty2 terminal by CTRL+ALT+F2

2. Then type systemctl start lightdm

How can I solve this problem? Having to manually start the lightdm every time the computer boots up is very annoying.

Thanks!

By the way, I just installed Linux Mint XFCE and everything works. Tested with kernel 5.4 and 5.10.

Indeed. I’d recommend having a look at the logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log appears to be the most important one, dmesg and journalctl -b might be useful to a lesser extent as well).

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking to the log helped me to find a definite solution.

The solution was already posted on this forum by @capsid

Basically I edited the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file by adding amdgpu to MODULES.

MODULES="amdgpu"

Then I upgraded the kernel to 5.10 and rebooted. :smiley:

Super happy now that I can enjoy my new super fast computer. It was nice to try Linux Mint for a few hours, but the package manager of Manjaro is so much superior…

Thanks @DAC324 and @capsid

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.