Fresh install, VLC; sound, but nothing else

I’m very new to Linux, and this is my first forum post, so please be merciful.
I attempted Debian β€œJesse”, and subsequently β€œMint”… both gave me hardware conflicts i was unable to resolve due to lack of knowledge and exposure to Linux itself. Investigating options (and YouTube reviews) led me to an immediately successful installation of Manjaro XFCE v16 β€œFringilla” two days after its release. I was HOOKED! Blatant customization ensued with many FIXABLE failures (fixable due to browsing this forum, and the ARCH AUR documentation itself).
Recently, that constantly updated install… couldn’t be updated. Manjaro lives on its own SSD, and Win10 that came with my laptop lives on ITS own SSD (I refuse to play β€œbattle of the bootloaders”). The BIOS handles the distinction between the SSD’s flawlessly.
Manjaro XFCE v17 was installed via a (checksum verified) ISO file I burned to an 8G USB3 flashdrive. I chose Erase Disc in GRUB, thinking undectected remnants of my previous learning ventures might bork a new installation. Manjaro installed with minimal warnings,…

…and the system seems to operate in a stable manner, but some of the software seems broken, or incorrectly integrated. Enough of my verbose personal introduction!!

PROBLEM: VLC: Double-clicking a .mkv file results in sound playing, and nothung else. No player window, taskbar icons,… nothing but sound (i have to restart Manjaro to stop the sound from playing).
Package Manager shows vlc-nightly (not vlc) installed. NO Qt4 files, but several Qt5 files are installed. Browsing this forum’s posts suggests an inter-connected package minefield I scarcely understand, and I’m not sure if the installation warnings mentioned earlier are evidencing themselves.

Any knowledgable suggestions (and explanations) will be WARMLY welcomed!

[quote=β€œSuperDave, post:1, topic:25861”]
vlc-nightly
[/quote] VLC 3.0 (and later) uses QT5

if i understand this correctly you have update issues?

Correct. I did a clean install as mentioned, restarted, and immediately updated the installation after enabling AUR, and refreshing the mirror list (US mirrors sorted by speed) using the Update Manager. The errors shown on the screen-shot in my post appeared upon completion of the update process.
The VLC issues appeared when I attempted to watch a movie i had ripped using MakeMKV. Everything worked perfectly before I Installed this latest version of Manjaro.

the first update? if so please open the terminal and type sudo pacman -Syu --force follow the instructions and then report back if the issue is fixed or if not post the output of the command

Additional info included…

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ superdave@superdave-pc
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ OS: Manjaro 17.0.1 Gellivara
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.10.17-2-MANJARO
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Uptime: 4h 29m
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Packages: 967
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Shell: bash 4.4.12
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Resolution: 1366x768
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ DE: XFCE4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM: Xfwm4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM Theme: Vertex-Maia
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ GTK Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2]
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Icon Theme: Vertex-Maia
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Font: Cantarell 10
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics @ 4x 2.2GHz [49.8Β°C]
GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.17-2-MANJARO, LLVM 4.0.0)
RAM: 808MiB / 14950MiB
[superdave@superdave-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu --force
[sudo] password for superdave:
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do
[superdave@superdave-pc ~]$

Have you tried removing vlc-nightly and installing vlc and qt4 from the repos?

2 Likes

Not yet. Posts seem to indicate doing so would probably work, but i wonder if installing QT4 will conflict with the pre-installed Qt5 packages and their core components.

they propably shouldn’t but in case they do if you install something though the package manager it will worn of conflicts

Try if the normal vlc package work for you. It will remove vlc-nightly and install needed dependencies. qt4 can co-exist with qt5.

1 Like

True. I’ll give it a shot. I can’ recall if i ended up doing something similar on my original β€œFringilla” installation, but it seems to ring a bell. Being an β€œexperimental student”, I believe i"d probably be more comfortable with the STABLE version anyway… at least until i become more familiar with the system structure, & hirearchy (not to mention the man pages and the terminal commands).

Thanks for the β€œshortcut” tip! I’ll try it immediately. The two things I love the most about Manjaro are the Package Manager’s conflict resolution, and the fact that ALL software on the system is updated when available. Windows lies bleeding and smoldering in the dust!

Yeah, I hear your angst. It’s well past time for VLC to use QT5. It is (I believe) the only application I have requiring QT4 on my system. Feels like being hijacked by an ex-wife…

#resist

1 Like

Amen!!
I have noticed several of your posts throughout various categories while in β€œproblem-solving” mode.
You’re usually dead-on and easily understandable. Even when your solutions haven’t worked on my individual system, they have always pointed me to the areas requiring attention.
Many KUDOS !!

I gave it a try… now, nothing (not even sound). I may have screwed up though. I searched vlc in Package Manager and manually removed vlc-nightly before installing vlc (forgot about it being automatically removed).
Now, it is as if vlc doesn’t even exist. It doesn’t launch from its icon under multimedia, amd double-clicking a .mkv file itself has no effect.
MKV shows up installed in Package Manager, but searching qt4 reveals no installed components. Shouldn’t installing vlc have revealed (and thus, installed) it’s Qt4 dependencies?

vlc has optional dep qt4. You have to install it manually to have a frontend :wink:

1 Like

The qt4 dependency is optional because you can technically use vlc from the cli.

1 Like

Dude! Problem Solved! Installing Qt4 package resolved ALL issues! Many, many thanks from myself, and around 1.4TB worth of .mkv Movies! :relieved:

For any other Manjaro XFCE v17 newcomers (such as myself): Fixing VLC was accomplished by
1). Removing vlc-nightly
2). Installing vlc
3). Installing Qt4

This is EXACTLY what worked in the end. Thank You!

@SuperDave, VLC is a necessary component in quite a few applications and application building. For example, I use it in phonon-qt5-vlc as the audio/video backend in KDE Plasma. It’s very versatile.

It also depends on the package manager frontend, how QT4 is explicitly shown as an optional dependency. I find it is more visible in Octopi than Pamac, for instance. For more reference, Videolan Org

#regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by