Fresh install freezes after logging in.

Acer Aspire TC-780
Intel i5 7400
Radeon R7 250

I can run Manjaro from the USB stick or installed on the HD without issue, until I update the 400+ programs. After updating, both with pacman and the gui package manager, everything functions perfectly until I reboot. After a reboot my computer will freeze a few seconds after logging in or even before if I'm not quick enough. Sometimes I can move the mouse cursor around but nothing responds to clicks. No response to the keyboard at all after the freeze, I have to hold the power button down to turn off my computer. Both monitors will either remain frozen or alternate blinking the frozen graphics and a black screen.

I've tried using 3 different kernels and all have allowed me to reboot and use the computer until I do the full update and reboot. I've tried both XFCE and Gnome and both have the same problem.

I had ran Manjaro on this computer since 2017, without issue, and opted for a fresh install because I hadn't used it for about 6-7 months.

I'm at my wit's end with this, any suggestions?

Install haveged and activate

sudo pacman -S haveged
sudo systemctl enable haveged
reboot

Does that work?

Also check your logs.....

I'm sorry to say that did not work. Locked up while entering my password this time.

If I'm quick enough I can Ctrl + Alt + F2 and use the terminal with no problem, but it will freeze as soon as I go back to graphics mode.

What am I looking for in my logs? I'm thinking an X issue, where can I find those logs?

Thanks for the help. I'm currently hopping from Windows to Manjaro so will be slow.

It seems you are not afraid of the "beast".
You may find these tutorials extremely interesting and helpful on troubleshooting

One way of checking is to check a previously failed boot (journal, Xorg log etc).
Another way is to boot directly to TTY and try startx, look for logs and try stuff depending what you find.
Info/howto in the links.
Ask if you don't understand.
Provide info as advised in the tutorials.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by