Do you remember Infinality patch? Currently its author is not active since June 2016. From 2017 patched patch is avaiable in AUR in packages freetype2-infinality and freetype2-infinality-ultimate, which are orphaned now.
Seriously, I can’t live without Infinality’s
ultimate5 preset — it was the best for me. We can’t be sure about future of big pached paches and orphaned AUR packages. By accident I discovered I can recreate similar apperance of ultimate5 without these big patches but by small patch. I uploaded it to AUR as
Probably (I’m not sure, I need your feedback) when you install it you will get fonts very similar to Infinality’s ultimate5. It is possible because parts of Infinality patch were included to upstream FreeType. My patch did two things: it enables ClearType technology covered by Microsoft patents and slightly changes its settings.
AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-ultimate5/
Restart you OS or re-login after installing this package!
- It’s not Infinality. Its bare freetype with small patch. Infinality’s configuration settings are not avaible.
INFINALITY_FT=ultimate5env variable is not needed. Probably changes in
/etc/profile.d/freetype2.share also not needed.
- I won’t support other Infinality’s presents. If you are interested I can describe how to move it to upstream FreeType.
- I’m not sure it works good. Feedback needed.
Screenshots comparison. Order: bare
freetype2-infinality from AUR vs my patch.
- http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/caja-termfreetype.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/caja-terminfinality.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/caja-termmy.php
- http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/google-tekstfreetype.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/google-tekstinfinality.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/google-tekstmy.php
- http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/readmefreetype.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/readmeinfinality.php ; http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/readmemy.php