Freetype2-ultimate5 — fonts like in Infinality's ultimate5

fonts

Do you remember Infinality patch? Currently its author is not active since June 2016. From 2017 patched patch is avaiable in AUR in packages freetype2-infinality and freetype2-infinality-ultimate, which are orphaned now.

Seriously, I can’t live without Infinality’s ultimate5 preset — it was the best for me. :wink: We can’t be sure about future of big pached paches and orphaned AUR packages. By accident I discovered I can recreate similar apperance of ultimate5 without these big patches but by small patch. I uploaded it to AUR as freetype2-ultimate5.
Probably (I’m not sure, I need your feedback) when you install it you will get fonts very similar to Infinality’s ultimate5. It is possible because parts of Infinality patch were included to upstream FreeType. My patch did two things: it enables ClearType technology covered by Microsoft patents and slightly changes its settings.

AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-ultimate5/
Restart you OS or re-login after installing this package!

Important notes:

• It’s not Infinality. Its bare freetype with small patch. Infinality’s configuration settings are not avaible.
  • INFINALITY_FT=ultimate5 env variable is not needed. Probably changes in /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh are also not needed.
  • I won’t support other Infinality’s presents. If you are interested I can describe how to move it to upstream FreeType.
  • I’m not sure it works good. Feedback needed. :wink:

Screenshots comparison. Order: bare freetype2 vs freetype2-infinality from AUR vs my patch.

[SOLVED] Can't install freetype2-ultimate5 with Pamac
[Stable Update] 2018-02-17 - Kernels, KDE, MATE, Firefox, LibreOffice, Mesa, Systemd
[Testing Update] 2018-02-08 - Kernels, Browsers, Plasma, GCC, Nvidia, Systemd
[Stable Update] 2018-02-25 - Kernels, Plasma, Mesa, Systemd, QT5, Browsers
[Stable Update] 2018-02-20 - Kernels, Mesa, KDE fixes, Driver fixes
[Stable Update] 2018-02-03 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Browsers, Thunderbird, PHP, Haskell
[Stable Update] 2018-02-03 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Browsers, Thunderbird, PHP, Haskell
[Testing Update] 2018-02-09 - KDE Apps, LibreOffice, Fixed WLAN issues of v4.15
[Testing Update] 2018-02-14 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Themes
[Testing Update] 2018-02-15 - Kernels, Firefox Dev, Bluez, Haskell, Python
[Unstable Update] 2018-02-17 - QT 5.10.1, Firefox, Deepin, Haskell, Python
[Testing Update] 2018-02-13 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Systemd, Firefox Dev
[Testing Update] 2018-02-21 - Plasma, QT5, Kernel v4.16, Mesa, LibDRM, Haskell, Python
[Testing Update] 2018-02-22 - MHWD, NVIDIA, Hybrid Graphic Setup
[Testing Update] 2018-02-23 - Kernels, Systemd, Haskell, Python
[Stable Update] 2018-03-05 - Kernels, Browser, VirtualBox, QT5, Haskell, Python
[Stable Update] 2018-03-07 - Kernels, LibreOffice, XFCE-Compiz, Haskell, Python
[Stable Update] 2018-03-14 - Kernels, Browsers, KDE, Vulkan, Python, Haskell
ERROR: Remote key not fetched correctly from keyserver

Might just be me, but [in the screenshots] I prefer the plain Freetype hinting; it looks cleaner to me.

Do the settings in /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh not work to approximate the Infinality patches?

Setting in /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh is not equal to original Infinality patch. FreeType authors removed configuration options from Infinality. Only possible way to restore preset from original Infinality is to patch FreeType.

The screenshots don’t do the patches justice - it looks far nicer in “real life”. I like it. :slight_smile:

So smoooth.

Thank You for this…! I can’t tell the difference between infinality and this patch now…awesome job…Please try to keep it updated…:+1:

It’s thanks to Bohoomil work and FreeType2 maintainers work, no me. My patch changes one line in source code. Big parts of Bohoomil patches ware included to upstream FreeType.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/like-ultimate5.patch?h=freetype2-ultimate5

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t install freetype2-ultimate5 with Pamac

[SOLVED] Can't install freetype2-ultimate5 with Pamac

As a former Infinality user, thanks for your efforts!

So does it affect MS fonts mostly?
I’m using Oxygen Sans in KDE, which looks so smooth and clean even with the default FT2.

In the screenshots I can’t see much difference, infinality looks “bolder” but I can’t say that it looks better or worse.
So I guess I have to try it out for real :wink:

So does it affect MS fonts mostly?

ClearType technology is covered by patent owned by Microsoft company. This technology is used in font rendering process to make fonts smooth. It is disabled in default repositories pacakges because of patents. Installing package with enabled ClearType (freetype2-cleartype) or my package affects all texts, all fonts. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType

In the screenshots I can’t see much difference, infinality looks “bolder”

It seems to me I wrongly described screenshots (see first post). There are three points. On each point the same windows and layout is visible. First screenshot on each point shows bare FreeType2, second FreeType2 with Bohoomil patch and third — screenshot with my patch.

I will have to try it out :wink:
But I’m perfectly happy with the combination of default FT2 (with default renderer) and Oxygen fonts. However some other fonts don’t look quite as good and might benefit from a little “tuning”.

Do we need to make any changes to the symlinks in /etc/fonts.d? I adjusted a few things in there…

My package is only for freetype2. Symlinks in /etc/fonts.d were part of Infinality’s fontconfig, not FreeType. I won’t maintain aur package for pached fontconfig.

Well I never had Infinality installed on my current installation, I just adapted the default fontconfig symlinks to my needs. The question rather was if your FT plays well together with modified symlinks.

Thanks, I’ll try it out and report back.

Good work!

I think your freetype does make the fonts look slightly better. At least here with the Oxygen fonts. Eurostile looks good too. Fonts seem a bit “bolder” than usual.

Maybe I will upload a binary package to my repo.

Maybe I will upload a binary package to my repo.

Don’t do it. It is illegal. You can’t provide binary FreeType2 with enabled ClearType technology, which is covered by Micro$oft patent. Because of it this feature is disabled in freetype package in Manjaro repos, Arch Linux’s repos and in other OSes.

You’re right, and since it’s not “my” repo, I will follow your advice, not that @Strit would get into trouble.

Why would I get into trouble?
If the license prohibits it, then yeah. :slight_smile:
As long as you don’t host any copyrighted material I should be good.

Yes, it’s a license thing.
Personally I don’t care at all about those patents, but it’s your server so I must follow the rules :slight_smile:

I appriciate it. :slight_smile:

I tried ultimate 5 instead of infinality-presets but for me freetype2-infinality + fontconfig-infinality looks much better, websites, guis, etc…

@TomaszGasior:
A friendly reminder that the checksums for the upstream patches are wrong for version 2.9.1-1 in AUR:

==> Überprüfe source Dateien mit sha1sums...
    like-ultimate5.patch ... Durchgelaufen
    upstream_1.patch ... FEHLGESCHLAGEN
    upstream_2.patch ... FEHLGESCHLAGEN
    upstream_3.patch ... FEHLGESCHLAGEN
    freetype-2.9.1.tar.bz2 ... Durchgelaufen