Formatting 4TB HDD

Before I start recreating my system with my backup. This is the format I’m going to use:

unallocated unknown 15.00MiB
/dev/sda1 linuxswap 512.00MiB
/dev/sda2 ext4 107.42GiB (System partition; no flags suggested)
/dev/sda2 ext4 2.62TiB (home)
unallocated unknown 9.98MiB

Is it really correct (BIOS, GPT case)? In case I’m foolish, the price will be great :slight_smile:

That’s a bit on the small side. I’d make that at least 2 GiB, or even 4 GiB.

If you plan on hibernating the machine, then it should be at least 150% of your RAM size.

Now that you mention hibernation. Is there any point in providing for hibernation with a plain desktop? I tried Google, and I’m in doubt. It would be nice and desirable, but is it possible?

My swap is small because it’s of no use whatever on a desktop. It’s there just because some obscure utilities may require its presence. What advantage may have 4GiB swap, while it’s less than RAM?

I will second the 150% of ram swap. After using suspend and hibernation for longer times I use them all the time. Its nice to start your computer and be where you were when you suspended/hibernated it. Its also instantly up.

Is hibernation really possible on any hardware? I used to think it’s for laptops only. My case is a not so advanced desktop.

If it works on my ancient hardware (FX4300, AM3 motherboard, 550ti) it should work for most people.