Force reboot broke the system, cannot boot

You need to boot with a live USB and then find out what broke, then repair.

Manjaro seems way more fragile than Windows, 10 can be unexpectedly turned off without suffering errors like this. I am very surprised by this.

Anyway, can you provide some basic instructions of what to do after I’ve booted up in the live environment? ex. should I post any specific logs here in order to provide you the info needed to assist me?

My time with Linux (Manjaro) has been rocky too say the least but I am having fun as hell and learning a bunch, thank you all for that!

I hope I will find the time to tell you what to do, but other are welcheme to help, too.
First would be to run
lsblk -f
to find the right partition and then to try to mount it
sudo mount /dev/sdxN /mnt

It’s not about Manjaro fragility for sure. I have forcibly turned off pc dozen times with Manjaro, even unstable branch, and nothing unusual happened. Sorry for not helping in your case, but the problem is your configuration, not the system itself.

It seems you have vb guest modules installed

pacman -Qs guest-modules

You better uninstall them, unless your system is a VB guest.
Is your user account in the wheel group? By default it is not needed to have root privs to shutdown/reboot.

groups

In any case, your system looks a mess, no offense… I can’t imagine what’s the reason, maybe your hardware or your installation ISO and/or installation procedure.
How did you install and what ISO? IIRC it’s not your only installation…

I take no offence, I am trying to customize the system to my liking while barely understanding Linux at all, 20 years of windows might have messed up my brain. I will not give up on Linux and go back to Windows 10 just because I keep encountering problems because I keep doing things I want and not understanding why they don’t work later. Sorry for bothering you guys about all this, I am so super eager to learn Linux, this is o much fun! However, I’d like to be able to play Factorio so I need to login :smiley:

Should I just reinstall Manjaro? Or I could restore an Acronis backup image I made… But there is a blinking subspace character at the end asking me for those options in the screenshot.

Can you please clarify how you can tell my system is a mess from the screenshot?

TTY is a terminal right? Well, I don’t know how to access ut without login into the desktop.
I did a typical installation from the USB stick, I downloaded a Manjaro KDE ISO and used rufus in windows to make a flash drive.

I just guess that you also do the same on WinOS. The difference is, when you encounter problems in WinOS you are sure it was your fault, while in Linux you are sure it’s the OS’s fault. :joy:
If you want to “understand” you have to do something yourself, i.e. read some info or talk to people they know.

Not from the screenshot alone, from all info you provided.
When you are forced to Emergency system, there is probably something messed up. Usually you would go to a blinking cursor (Xorg failure) and try TTY .
This is nothing close to a small glitch:

“The module Startup and shutdown is not a valid configuration module.”
“The diagnosis is:
The desktop file settings-workspace-session.desktop does not specify a library.”

Your GPU seems to not be exactly compatible with the installed drivers, so it maybe complicated to make it have best performance, although I am not an AMD expert.

I hope you have fun, for as long you run Linux. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Good Gawd Almighty! No filesystem ever invented can handle that kind of suffering! If this is a procedure you routinely follow, you are also borking your Win 10 install.

IMHO it’s not a question of learning Linux so much as it is learning personal computers safe-sex practices. You are screwing your system!

1 Like

Depends. Ext4 is more fragile in my experience, btrfs can take a hard reboot. I wouldn’t do it from a state where data is being written, but from cash it is OK. btrfs can do other funny things when you don’t expect it: Failed to mount btrfs RAID0, after a repair it worked
On ext4 it is usually a matter of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fsck

And “a mess” is a relative term. When you don’t know what to do, just chroot and reinstall all packages with --force flag.

No, honestly, there is too much general conversation in this topic. @premier69 should try to boot with a live system and gather diagnostic information.

Actually ext4 i find very strong it withstands constant hard shut-downs from my 7 year old with no damage what so ever so lets rule that out. its what the user did before the hard shutdown that breaks the system
Its more a case of the itchy fingers deleting and fiddling we all did it, not updating correctly like not fully updating.
The user needs to start over and this time read before you mess. google is not always you best friend in fact 90% of answers are total garbage, the forum the wiki then the Arch wiki and forum are your friend the Arch wiki for the most part is fine apart from mhwd related matters.
The user needs to learn to walk before running do one change at a time and the user will be fine

2 Likes

Some DEs have a setting to recognise the power button as a normal shutdown command.
I can only tell that the few times I was using ext4 I had to run fsck after a hard reboot or hard shutdown.

The Arch Wiki is good but doesn’t replace common sense. To try to diagnose a problem first before running arbitrary commands is an example of common sense.

Nothing replaces common sense. I don’t know with Manjaro but my Arch installs fsck automatically after hard shutdowns

But it doesn’t repair, does it? Anyway, if /boot is broken you need to fsck -a from a live USB, but I’m not sure.

I’m not sure either all I know is sometimes it says remove innode blah blah then boots up fine now if its a ext2 partition well that’s something else.

The user could try in terminal "reboot"it still works here

No, not really. Not with repeated file corruption from repeated improper shutdowns. As we have just witnessed.

What have you just witnessed?

First post.

Don’t remember the details, but it happened one time on KDE with ext4 as per recommended on install for new users.
On the screen was a list of what happened and after reading several times I discovered the password/command(?) and it repaired and booted fine.
i have the power button configured in System Settings to shut down when things go haywire (usually mine own fault.) Not a good idea?
How then to shutdown a frozen system. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh I tell you, I am not going anywhere, for better or worse. But seriously, I can’t believe I didn’t make the switch to Linux earlier and I am not leaving it. not even for Mint or the other non-arch.

I can still do my web dev work I need to and provide Win support over TeamViewer, all the odd-jobs I do, np. I can still figure out GIMP as a replacement for Photoshop and I can use NodeJS and Atom/Brackets so all is good.

I have patience, I will not give up. I love Linux, all it stands for and besides, Windows 10 pisses me off immensely and the direction M$ is taking it, remember, I’ve been using Windows since 95 and it Win10 to finally destroy my stubbornness and make the switch.

Thank you very much for your hard work! All of you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark