Formatting exFAT USB to FAT32

What does that mean?

mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdyX

Is this a command I need to write in terminal to format USB to FAT32? If not thank you very much for cyberbullying ))

Excuse me?

I mean I didn’t completely understand what mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdyX does mean.

If you know the device and partition number - this the command will format the partition if the partition is of a Microsoft basic data type 0700.

If you have no basic understanding of Linux file system - you should learn the basics.

There is a topic which may help you to better understand Linux

Install Ventoy on your machine and install Ventoy on that stick.

1 Like

Ventoy can be deployed in both mbr and gpt types.

The advantage of Ventoy is that in many cases you can boot an iso image simply by copying the iso file to the first partition.
Disk space can be used without wasting it.
The format of this first partition of ventoy can be FAT32/NTFS/UDF/XFS/Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 filesystem, whichever is recognised.

I have also installed Ventoy on my usb stick. I reformatted it to ext4, but you don’t have to change anything.
I have confirmed booting of Windows 10,11 Japanese installer iso and Manjaro iso.

2 Likes

Thank you! So, I can just install ventoy on my exFAT usb and then just write Windows image with Suse Imagewriter, right?

No. That is not the purpose of ventoy.

Ventoy formats your stick and makes it bootable - but not with a single ISO - as many ISO files you can store on the stick and every single one of them is bootable through the ventoy boot menu.

And there’s really many - many topics on the subject.

1 Like

If you use ventoy, you do not need an image writer.
After installing ventoy on the USB stick, simply copy the Windows iso file to the ventoy partition as a file.
Don’t forget to give priority to the usb stick in the bios boot order.

I have read your guide and understood. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello again. There is no problem with your solution, but I accidentally skipped steps:

1. Locating my usb (lsblk)
  2. And this step: $ sudo ventoy -i /dev/sdy

Will be everything ok or I have to make everything again?
P.S. Now I have ready USB with iso written.
P.S. 2 When I go to Disks app and select this USB with iso, under Device it shows me /dev/sda1

If you haven’t run the ventoy command - you will have to redo as the stick is has not been made bootable.

Ventoy needs to initialize the disk - so you will have to redo everything.

But in disks app it shows that usb is bootable. Ventoy was installed successfully on a stick and I didn’t experience any problems with preparing it. Do I need to redo anyways?
P.S. I haven’t tried to boot from it yet.

If you skipped step 2 then - unless you have previously used ventoy - the device is not bootable with the ventoy boot menu - and thus you may need to redo the initialization and the copy of the iso files onto the storage.

Ok. Two more questions:

1. How to redo, I mean how to erase ventoy and iso from USB and do all the steps again?
  2. When should I exactly install ventoy using the eponymous application? I didn’t find any mentions about it in your guide.

Hi,

It might be easier for you to use the Ventoy GUI, find it the menu of whichever DE you are using or type ventoygui into a terminal.

Once there you can install/update ventoy on the stick.

just like the first time:
find what your usb device is and install ventoy to it
after that, you have a bootable drive to which you can write as many iso files as will fit on it and you can also use it for normal storage of other files

Yeah, right. I mean now I have usb stick with ventoy and iso already in, but I did some mistakes during preparation. Do I need to format it or how do I get a regular empty usb stick to be prepared for the second time?