for those experiencing freezes on amd ryzen apu with manjaro kernel

i dont experience freezes now on amd ryzen 5 3400g
by setting

amdgpu.noretry=0

kernel parameter

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-APU-noretry

1 Like

hm, sounds interresting.

so this is supposed to replace "acpi_osi=Windows 2018.2" + acpi_backlight=vendor grub parameters when encountering freezes?

perhaps worth a try.

seems a little late though. according to the article's comments, kernel 5.4.7 saw a lot of patches making even this step superflous. so, no more parameters needed very soon? :slight_smile:

maybe lets see.
if it gets improvement or not.

also coming version 10bits HEVC
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Radeon-Fixes-10-Bit-HEVC-P010

I tried replacing iommu=soft with amdgpu.noretry=0 and it froze.

Jan 03 13:35:22 inspirognome kernel: [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!
Jan 03 13:35:22 inspirognome kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered
System:    Host: inspirognome Kernel: 5.4.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.34.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           Speed: 2244 MHz min/max: 1600/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2712 2: 2751 3: 1587 4: 1568 5: 1590 6: 1579 7: 1401 
           8: 1446 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.6 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.7-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.1

again, good find.

this replaces all modifications that were necessary to fix those freezes, thanks!

With the latest testing update, which introduce kernel 5.4.10, my Athlon 220GE doesn't freeze anymore!! :clap::clap::clap:

Update: I think I spoked too soon, the system freezes again... :sweat_smile: Rolling back to 5.3.18.

Hey, I'm getting similar error but mine says
[drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] ERROR ring gfx timeout, could not be recovered

and basically I have to hard reboot system, because nothing is working anymore.

well
the solution of amdgpu.noretry=0 is not reliable
but
using
linux-amd-raven kernel is reliable for me.

Take a look at the screen shot:

So far with newest kernel I haven't gotten one but it's super random.

Meanwhile Pop! _OS truly fixed this problem before the processor was even released. Working since day 1.

Actually AMD and Canonical did since AMD did all their Linux support development with Ubuntu as a reference system with Canonical's Ubuntu Developers assisting. Pop! only works because it uses the Ubuntu kernels and modules.

Probably it would work just fine on Ubuntu but the thing is I like Manjaro way more :smiley:

1 Like

Wrong, Ubuntu will only support Ryzen 3 with 20.04. System76 discovered the problem with the processors when they received it before launch to be able to sell and then they solved the problem immediately. AMD and Canonical were not even aware. The basis of the Pop! _OS system is unique and much better, with better support and more polished than that of Ubuntu. Put respect where it is deserved, because System76 is doing an incredible job. Pop!_OS was the only Distro working with Ryzen 3 until the Arch base performs the hotfix.

1 Like

No, it doesn't work and will continue like this until 20.04 is released :joy:

that's laughable, maybe @philm needs to find out where Pop!_OS developers bought their crystal ball then if they can fix something they don't have access to. Yes AMD release engineering samples but the final model is not always guaranteed to work the same. IF what you say is true, then they just got lucky because of some existing tweaks they already use.

They work mainly with hardware sales, so they received the processors before launch so they could sell computers when they were released as well as other computer manufacturers. This is a common practice, they don't need a crystal ball, so yep, that's truly laughable :joy:

I know how the industry works, it is still highly unlikely Pop! got samples before AMD engineers :rofl:

Please add a source to your information about Pop! There's nothing on the web I can find to verify it. Something that significant would be all over the IT news pages.

The bug did not occur on the AMD side, it was an incompatibility, so you really think AMD would postpone or invest time checking if the processors are running on Linux Desktops? They provide good support when it comes to drivers, but that's it.

System 76 chief engineer Jeremy Soller gave an interview and he explained the situation with Ryzen processors and why Pop!_OS was the only Distro working with Ryzen 3 on launch.

They included it first in their ISO and were able therefore to ship new hardware but they did not create the patch. The patch had been around since May 2019 long before Jeremy first did any testing with it as reported in August on launchpad, so to say that Pop! developers discovered and fixed it is a stretch, a german coder actually patched it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1835809

The first Manjaro ISO to feature the patch was released in July 2019, 18.1.0 rc5 set, not to mention Ryzen Zen2 products did work on launch day with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS because it never shipped the affected build of systemd. 19.04 had the systemd build with the RDAND regression.

Forum kindly sponsored by