No Fan Detected - MBP Mid-2012

I’m basically struggling to get an application or package - that will happen to let me control my fan speed.

I have tried using the mbpfan package - that did not work. Then, I tried using sudo sensors-detect, which would thereby lead me to just typing sudo sensors. That did not work. Then, I tried using pwmconfig. That too also did not work. As such, I got an error issuing that said command which would be, “/usr/bin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed.”

The just of what I’m asking is whether or not there is a way for me to successfully control my Mid-2012 Model Macbook Pro in order to be able to control the fan speed of my device.

I’m also aware that the kernel has an issue as far being able to detect fans and have direct control over them. I would assume that since my Macbook is an older model (although upgraded with SSD) that there would be less proprietary hardware. In turn, this would allow me to control the fans of the laptop via some process as far as the kernel is concerned.

Then again, this is about as much as I’m able to comprehend the issue in which I am having.

Also, any response is welcome even if it does not lead to a direct answer right away.

Thanks.

Just installing it will not do anything. Have you read the documentation? You have to enable the service:
systemctl enable mbpfan.service

Have you try lm_sensors ?
#h**ps://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lm_sensors
sensors-detect
And answer yes to end. Restart and will display all information about your system.

I have tried that but it did not work. I believe I have utilized the whole process of enabling mbpfan via systemctl commands, which I think there are four of them.

Correct me if there are more.

I believe I have. I have also used the sensors-detect command. But, there was one option during the setup that I did not agree to, which happened to be the one that was the most risky.

Would that enable fan detection to a degree of any kind. I know that the warning stated that it caused bugs and the OS to break…

But, I digress…

I have actually found the solution to my problem!

echo <yourspeedhere> | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min

I got it from over on r/Linux titled MacBookPro Fan Control under Linux??

I found out that this works. However, it only works for manually setting a constant speed (I think). Though and in spite of that, the solution that I found is good enough for myself. I’m not sure for anyone else who happens to stumble upon this forum will like the answer that I found. But at least, it will help to keep anyone’s MBP Mid-2012 cool enough when having a lot of apps and processes - running in the background.

I’m not sure as to whether or not 2013,14, or 15 models will work with this command, but at least it works on the mid-2012 model.

Anyhow, I appreciated the help for those who contributed by replying or commenting. But, at least in some regard, I have found a solution. :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

1 Like