Followup: HDMI to any monitor/TV shows a blank screen, but is detected

Yeah I mean if I ran ubuntu it’d immediately be fine because of their nvidia-prime tool becoming so advanced.

I don’t wanna use something so damn simple that I can’t learn anything though… that’s my feeling about this types of distros. This is just what I don’t get though. I can do no screen tearing if I switch back to the AMD Renoir… or ATI Renoir… whichever, the integrated AMD chipset, since this is the AMD/NVIDIA combo.

sigh It just needs to be configured with something else, not with nvidia-settings. Yes, I ran sudo nvidia-settings.

Running in nvidia mode right now but I had this with pure nvidia-only as well. it was kind of weird. That’s why I just made two screenshots at once while I had the chance. It says it in hybrid mode when i switch and also when i’m running pure nvidia-only, @Fabby … so i’m not sure… it’s the standard configuration used so i can see and use an external monitor, so i have optimus-manager start up with nvidia mode by default. Should I show you guys my optimus-manager.conf?

I didn’t do that before, that’s why optimus never started up with it. The configuration isn’t much different from when this thread started aside from editing optimus-manager.conf. I simply never edited optimus-manager.conf cause I am an idiot.

So I’m thinking that your nVidia card is just wired up to the HDMI port and not to the internal display. (hardware design issue)

So your current tearing is due to the AMD driver so the only thing we can tell you for that is to try out a few kernels. 5.9 got released earlier this week (yesterday? Day before?) so it should arrive here pretty soon. (AMD does all its drivers in open source so they’re built into the kernel)

If that doesn’t solve the problem, try 5.4 LTS, then 5.4 RT then something else.

And please? Don’t fiddle with the nVidia settings: they’re fine now…

:grin:

P.S. Sorry for asking you the same question again as before but I’ve got too many nVidia questions I’m working on in parallel so not seeing the wood for the :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: any more…

@pobrn

Does the above make sense or am I going off the deep end???

Then why would they work with nvidia-only? It tore with nvidia-only as well. Sorry I don’t think that makes a lick of sense. When I switch to the AMD, I have no external display available, however, there is no tearing after I added Option “TearFree” “true” in the configuration and it worked. Yes I understand you have a lot of nvidia questions right now… but I did BOTH configurations, that’s why I gave two screenshots for you guys. But it looks like I have a problem somehow. I’m not the only one with this issue. And I don’t “fiddle” with them… it was an example. I never, ever clicked “Save X configuration” lol… ever. I only did previews to figure out what’s going on.

Also, on kernel 5.9 stable. I’m starting to lose my mind guys. 5.9 unfortunately didn’t do a thing.

On the internal screen only and not the external screen?

If yes, that’s what I meant with:

But before you do all that, wait for @pobrn to weigh in, because I haven’t seen your exact problem before neither and for the moment it’s just a gut feeling… (5% of the time my intuition is completely wrong though…)

:man_shrugging:

You’ve been dealing with this longer than I have so I’m listening to both of you.

I just don’t get why… and also, the manjaro wiki for PRIME (the Configure_Graphics_Cards link) … that’s broken. It leads to what looked to be a post on this forum but it’s broken:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/howto-set-up-prime-with-nvidia-proprietary-driver/40225 <----- broken link

I think I noticed something that’s different from my configuration: “Synchronization: Off” for the prime display. Please run xrandr --verbose | grep "PRIME Synchronization".

1 Like

0, not 1.

PRIME Synchronization: 0

What happens if you run xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --set "PRIME Synchronization" 1 (you may need to change “eDP-1-1” to the name of your internal display)?

1 Like

eDP-1-1 would be correct.

Screen flashed, which usually means it works, but… I don’t know. We’ll see in a moment with a screenshot.

However, if I just try to see if it changed? No:

PRIME Synchronization: 0

Interesting. This thread says that

To support PRIME Synchronization, the system needs:

• Linux kernel 4.5 or higher
  • An X server with ABI 23 or higher (as yet officially unreleased, use commit 2a79be9)
  • Compatible drivers

The first two should be OK. Maybe it doesn’t work with the amdgpu driver? Have you tried the modesetting Xorg driver for the integrated gpu?

Please also check this thread.

Yes. I absolutely did. I’ve looked at so many guides and wiki’s that it feels like I’m doing a really long three week research paper to get something working that just apparently won’t budge. I think I’m just gonna have to go with a mainstream distro because all I’m doing is bothering the crap out of you guys and I have been trying to do it myself, ya know what I mean? I’ve really been trying just about everything… I just… I’ve seen some results about this problem, my problem anyway… and the solutions are almost all ubuntu-crap or outdated crap. However, you know my kernel, ABI for X, and drivers. modesetting actually seems to work with the renoir/amdgpu… but no hardware acceleration

I’ll take a look at the other thread though.

Beyond that… let’s consider another thing, though: Compositor for cinnamon desktop environment. I’ve heard it might not even work on cinnamon but I’m not sure. I’ll look that guide over on Prime Sync and see if I missed anything. Thank you for all of your help so far… both of you guys, @Fabby and @pobrn both.

Alright so the OP of that thread said "solved with nvidia beta drivers… 450.51? I don’t have that? I don’t think it’s a good idea to download nvidia’s proprietary driver and install it either… wouldn’t that be asking to break Manjaro?

Well, last I checked Canonical’s prime-select script does not support AMD integrated video cards.

No hardware acceleration where? OpenGL/Vulkan? VA-API, etc. shouldn’t be affected by the choice of Xorg driver.

Oh I’m sorry I actually just meant it works but none of the Prime Synchronization changes, not hardware acceleration. I have too many tabs open, that’s my fault there, I’m sorry ;/ But I mean it seems to be just the tearing. Doesn’t seem to change… but if I boot up hybrid instead of nvidia, it works very well with screen tearing, HOWEVER… no external display/HDMI display since that’s all that is available on this anyway (HDMI for external).

Also… I really don’t care for the renoir/ati/AMD iGPU, as it’s not something I’m looking to have primarily if I have a GeForce GTX 1650. And even if other distros don’t support it… well, I’m not sure about the support anywhere else in Linux either, yet SOME, such as yourself, seem to have no issues… I don’t get it really.

Since the guy mentioned 450xx, i’m moving back up to that just to make sure it isn’t actually the solution. I’m guessing this guy had some sort of automatic configuration with nvidia proprietary. Probably anyway. Even if it was solved, he didn’t really say how.

Beyond that… I don’t know. Compositors are all I can think of now for Cinnamon… I know that the other distros have a lot of nvidia support and that manjaro likely adopts many of the things ubuntu does. Which reminds me… lots of screen flickering on external monitor but not a huge deal… just seems to cause problems with certain applications and i can’t tell whether it’s minor, major, or no issue at all. And no, no games are being played yet… that would be damn near impossible right now. I can’t even watch YouTube, really.

That’s unfortunately another problem that affects amd+nvidia configurations.

I have an intel+nvidia configuration, I use the modesetting Xorg driver. I’m pretty sure those are significant differences. When linux58-nvidia-455xx reaches the stable branch, you could try that (if you haven’t already).

I’m not sure why PRIME synchronization is not enabled. Do you see anything in dmesg or the Xorg log when you run the command?

Xorg log shows nothing significant, no. modesetting, in general, only works in nvidia mode, if i switch to hybrid it obviously, as configured, goes amdgpu unless I change it myself, which I tried when you asked.

Um… what else… haven’t done linux58-nvidia-455xx but if i can try that then i will… I don’t care if it’s stable, I mean I can just revert with tty. Kernel 5.8, 5.9 (Yes for some users that has major, major changes) but that, the 5.4 LTS doesn’t go, normal 5.4, no go… all kernels listed just now give the same result right now to me. Worst case scenario I can just set something up to make sure it’ll boot. There’s been nothing out of the ordinary with dmesg either, even when I | grep the hell out of it.

@pobrn:

From Arch wiki on PRIME:

Black screen with GL-based compositors

Currently there are issues with GL-based compositors and PRIME offloading. While Xrender-based compositors (xcompmgr, xfwm, compton’s default backend, cairo-compmgr, and a few others) will work without issue, GL-based compositors (Mutter/muffin, Compiz, compton with GLX backend, Kwin’s OpenGL backend, etc) will initially show a black screen, as if there was no compositor running. While you can force an image to appear by resizing the offloaded window, this is not a practical solution as it will not work for things such as full screen Wine applications. This means that desktop environments such as GNOME3 and Cinnamon have issues with using PRIME offloading. <------ Yeah… I run Cinnamon.

Additionally if you are using an Intel IGP you might be able to fix the GL Compositing issue. Blah blah. I think it looks like it’s just a Cinnamon issue until I get a compositor that might, just might work if the above possibilities don’t pan out. I don’t know.

Yeah, so… my DE might be the problem… i don’t know.

Interesting, I use GNOME, but haven’t experienced these problems (however, truth be told, I haven’t really used PRIME render offload since I use an external monitor).

I also use an external monitor, and the problem doesn’t exist there… Cinnamon’s a gnome fork… GTK3 I believe… unless you meant you don’t have one? I don’t know, most do use one. The problem went from “blank/black screen with HDMI/TV” to awful screen tearing on my main display while in nvidia mode… and it’s driving me insane.

For instance… I’m in a terminal right now with it showing on the main display (more room, right?) and I’m compiling something and it’s going SO FAST that i can see it tearing. Then I do this when i switch it with optimus-manager and that doesn’t exist with the ATI Renoir. I don’t know, there’s no external when I use the Renoir. The external (HDMI) = Nvidia GTX 1650.

That’s just another thing. but I’m thinking of just going to Arch or something… maybe I’m just missing a configuration somewhere or maybe it really IS the drivers for this in particular. I’ve run out of ideas, you guys did what you could… My hope is that this thread stays open for awhile. Doesn’t have to be forever, but it’s my hope. There are a lot of troubleshooting steps here that can help so many others. I’ll live, it’s screen tearing, not screen breaking. It’s just driving me nuts because I can’t watch certain videos for my class, and I can’t stand having to do that with a laptop when i have to also work… i’m close to losing my job because of how long it’s been with this problem. I can’t be using Windows, literally… it just doesn’t work with a lot of what I do within linux and my shell isn’t gonna be displaying any GUI unless I feel like setting up something like NoMachines. I was able to do an insecure VNC session, but it wasn’t even worth it.

I MUST use Linux in order to keep my job and then to do everything ELSE, I’d simply use a Virtual Machine and use Windows that way, and this is including my niece’s virtual school crap. I can’t be running a VM when my own drivers are an issue for just X.Org itself.

EDIT: Also. SEE: The all new OutputSink feature aka reverse PRIME - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums <---- source for below… and basically the above POSTS too.

The compositing lag you observe when you only have a Reverse PRIME display is caused by a limitation in X Present, it can’t sync to PRIME sinks. It works with NVIDIA-based PRIME Sync (non-reverse) because the NVIDIA driver implements its own mechanism to allow vsync, but when the NVIDIA GPU is the sink, as in Reverse PRIME, we have to rely on what the server supports. There is some work being done upstream on this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/460 . Once that is implemented, some further work will be required on the NVIDIA side to support it. Unfortunately, the only current workaround is to have a non-Reverse PRIME display set as the primary in RandR, or to disable vsync.