Folders very slow to open - question mark on many folders in Nautilus

My folders in home directory are very slow to open and I mean really slow. They have a green triangle with a white question mark inside at the bottom right of many folders.

Any idea what’s going on?

Thanks

You might have messed up your home directory permissions, or you have corrupted files due to hardware failure that might or not be fixed with fsck on that disk.

Also, this might help in case you just moved your home directory … see the ownership part:

Looks like a permission problem…

What says?

ls -lahd ~/basex

Thanks I will take a look. I don’t think anything is corrupted as all folders do load eventually and all files, which also have those question marks, also load up just fine. If I do ls -al then folders without question marks have the same ownership and permissions as the folders that do have question marks. I’ll look over that carefully and rerun it as if i had moved the home drive, which I haven’t, and see if that resolves it.

This shows:

~ >>> ls -lahd ~/basex                                                         
drwxr-xr-x 3 eamonn eamonn 4.0K Mar 12 09:25 /home/eamonn/basex

And for Documents it shows:
drwxr-xr-x 5 eamonn eamonn 4.0K Jun 7 20:19 /home/eamonn/Documents

Thanks

If permissions are ok, then see if you added emblems to those folders … or if are symlinks, then the symlink emblem got funky
Probably you used this in the past ?

Something has just occurred me as I’m thinking about this. When I first installed Manjaro it never brought up the grub screen so I couldn’t choose any older kernels, etc, if I’d wanted to. I then needed to install a Windows 10 partition as I had accounting software I needed to run. After that the grub menu started appearing. I’m now wondering if there was a legacy boot vs EFI boot issue and now under EFI the permissions are messed up even if they look right. Does that sound at all feasible?

The cause is that if only Manjaro is installed, the menu is hidden by default, If grub discovered a second OS with os-prober then it is visible by default. This behavior can be changed at /etc/default/grub.

What permissions? Of the home partition?