Problem with latest version of video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime Version 2021.12.18

Hello,

I recently updated my kernel from 5.10 to 5.15, specifically 5.15.28… This upgrade also upgraded the video drivers where I’m configured with optimus for switching… Generally I leave it set to the hybrid mode and run 2 external monitors daisy chained over a single Display Port connector on the back of my Dell Precision 7750 laptop in addition to the built in display.

Ever since the update I was unable to get the external monitors to be utilized… After some researching and attempting the various “fixes” I found in the forums I decided to switch to the alternate driver. So I uninstalled the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime and instead of reinstalling the same one like I had tried before I installed the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime and now all 3 displays are working like they were before the kernel upgrade.

I’m not really asking for help here, I just wanted to report the problem and what actually resolved the issue for me…

Here is the mhwd --list

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1fb9) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9bf6) Display controller Intel Corporation:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Hope this helps somebody…
Bill S.

Hello,

Last time was mentioned in 2022-02-27 update announcement because it became already very old news, so the 2022-03-14 update announcement didn’t have it

The logic applies to hybrid …

1 Like

That’s very interesting, but I don’t think the loss of the Kepler series should affect my T-1000 (TU117GL-A) video card… From what the NVidia T1000 Datasheet indicates (which I couldn’t include the link for), the card/chipset is part of the RTX series. Please let me know if that’s the case.

I’d be shocked that NVidia would remove support from a chipset that is still being utilized in current production laptops.

Bill S.

Ok, but you have to make sure then that the driver, whatever you chose, got installed correctly. Other had some issues too

Closing this as someone was about to necrobump it.