30.5GiB / 31.3 GiB ram usage problem

I’m having an issue where all my ram is showing as being in use, however… I am not using any apps, or any apps that would use that much ram. I reboot my pc and stacer shows the same thing everytime. I also am experiencing super clunkiness/lag/softlocks after moderate usage. I’m assuming that the lag/clunkiness is happening when I reach the remaining ram limit. Does anyone know what could be causing this/how to fix it. I really don’t want to re-format and install again. I’m sure a fresh install would fix but I just don’t want to go that route.
Uploading a picture of stacer showing my ram usage and ksysguard showing that none of my processes are requiring this much ram.

processusage|647x500

ramusage|252x239

Hi @donniedice, and welcome!

1. Please see How to provide good information
  2. To me that sounds like a memory leak somewhere. Have you checked whether it’s limited to if a certain application is in use? Because, that’s my immediate suspicion.

Edit:

According to this page:

On Linux in the top process you can press < key to shift the output display sort left. By default it is sorted by the %CPU so if you press the key 4 times you will sort it by VIRT which is virtual memory size giving you your answer.

Another way to do this is:

ps -e -o pid,vsz,comm= | sort -n -k 2

should give you and output sorted by processes virtual size.

Here’s the long version:

ps --everyone --format=pid,vsz,comm= | sort --numeric-sort --key=2

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Even the output of free command is more helpful than those screenshots.

4 Likes

did you enable zram

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

I also thought of this immediately, but I eliminated it when I read the rest of the described symptoms.

If you use applets and effects, turn them all off and reboot to see if the leak stops. If it doesn’t, you need to find out where the RAM is being used.

As Strit said, freeis useful because, at least, it allows you to see if the RAM is being used by an active process or by disk caching, for example.

The command Mirdarthos gave is also much more reliable than those screenshots.

Or use top on console.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments. I’m back with a new screenshot for you.
ramramram|690x345

Sorry do you have any docker image running?