Flickering screen - Dell XPS 7590

Hello,
I am using Manjaro on my DELL XPS 7590 as a primary OS, but sometimes I can see some flickering on the screen.
I do not use NVIDIA driver, I am just using the integrated video card.
The flickering is not always visible. It happen when I change the view such as scrolling browser and so on.

What do you suggest to me?

Thanks.

Similar issue here, with a Dell Inspiron 15, using intel iris integrated graphics.

The glitch appears on one or two thick lines on the screen, although not always the same (checked using axosnake – great benchmark, I know–, the line changes but not over a short period of time).

intel_gpu_top says the pc is far from peak capacity, with everything pretty low, the cpu is low as well, the only thing that seems weird is that in the intel_gpu_top does say “RC6” is at 75-80%, sometimes more, but I have no idea what this is…

Also potentially relevant, this did not happen earlier this day, back when I had not updated (the big update from a few days ago) and when my kernel was still 5.7 (vs 5.9 now, but the glitch also does happen on 5.4, so I don’t think that’s a factor).

1 Like

So, actually I had the instinct that it was related to the integrated graphics, because it would make sense, so I went on the ArchWiki and found this: Intel graphics - ArchWiki. When enabling framebuffer compression (adding options i915 enable_fbc=1 to /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf, see the Archwiki), then rebooting, it fixed the problem on my machine.

Before that I also flicked all the tunables from powertop to “good” and rebooted, it didn’t seem to fix anything but those are the two things I changed recently, and I don’t see the problem anymore, so if the first option doesn’t work you may try the second.

It kinda bothers me not to actually understand what was wrong, but I don’t have too much time to spend on this, so…

I tried reading the article and adding the options:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
options i915 enable_fbc=1
options i915 fastboot=1

But the problem is still present.

Do you have any other advice?

Does your problem persists on 5.9? Because more people are having these issues at the moment for some time now without a resolve or solution. Please try downgrading to 5.8 if your problem still persists.

For myself, the screen glitches like a “seizure” when I scroll or move the mouse. It is not artifacting but just… graphical glitches.

Hello,
These are my versions:

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.2
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Nibia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

Kernel:

uname -a
Linux prophet 5.4.80-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 28 09:58:18 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

After some trials, I think that with the latest option glitches are less.

options i915 enable_psr=0

I am not really sure are completely disappeared because are not so frequent.

I will update this post in the next days.

With this option and rebooting the system, fixed the problem.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.