Flatpak notifications and management GUI

Hello guys,

Since pamac currently does not integrate with Flatpak, I have decided to create a Flatpak management GUI (I did not know the right category to post this, so I am writing here). I have just released the first version (0.1.0) in AUR as fpakman. At the moment it has a tray icon (that gets red when new updates are available), and a management panel (where you can see the applications/ libraries and update them). I planning to allow search, installation and deletion for the next releases. Also the possibility of downgrade applications versions.

The current AUR installation does not put the app in "autostart" mode, so you have to register via your Desktop Environment settings or terminal.

I hope this initiative can help other people wanting the same features for their system.

Suggestions, translations (the first version only supports English, Portuguese and Spanish), and pull requests are very welcome. The GitHub project link: https://github.com/vinifmor/fpakman

16 Likes

I see you have not been a forum member for too long. How refreshing to see a new user giving back to the community so soon after joining the forum.

I am not a snap or flatpack user, but I appreciate your efforts all the same. That is awesome that you are contributing to better the distro and Linux as a whole.

Keep up the good work.

8 Likes

Waow, thank you !

I install it & quote it in my tutorials.

By the way, I recently noticed an improvement in Flatpak CLI.
One morning I was not completely awake, I typed :

flatpak install drawing

this command (new to me) looks for packages & repos :

~]$ flatpak install drawing
Looking for matches…
Remotes found with refs similar to ‘drawing’:

1) ‘flathub’ (system)
   2) ‘flathub’ (user)

Which do you want to use (0 to abort)? [0-2]: 1
Found ref ‘app/com.github.maoschanz.drawing/x86_64/stable’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system).
Use this ref? [Y/n]: 

I could have typed :

flatpak install skype

or

flatpak install discord

or

flatpak install whatever

In the latter case, it politely tells that there is no such package :

~]$ flatpak install whatever
Looking for matches…
error: No remote refs found similar to ‘whatever’

All this is is much easier than :

flatpak install flathub com.github.maoschanz.Drawing

*[PS] by the way, "Drawing" is a simple handy drawing tool designed by Roschan, whom I often see on the french Ubuntu forum :wink:

5 Likes

Moved from #newbies to #showcase to show it off

Nice job and welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Hello guys,

I've just released a new version (0.3.0) with several improvements and features. Now you are able to search, install, uninstall and downgrade applications. For a more complete changelog description, have a look at: https://github.com/vinifmor/fpakman/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Here are some pictures of this version:

Please, report bugs and suggestions. I'm studying the possibility of integrating Snap for the next releases and expand the applications availability.

Now fpakman is also available via PyPi, and you can install it with pip:

sudo pip install fpakman

or for a specific version:

sudo pip install fpakman==0.3.0
7 Likes