[Fixed] Firefox Developer Edition 61 spell check not working


#1

This is just a notice for https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/58461

The spellcheck used to work a few days ago on my developer edition. But … redsquigglylines

firefox-developer-edition-i18n-en-us is installed as well. I will use this as an excuze to be a bad spellar now. :smirk_cat:

[UPDATE: Fixed in 61.0.b4 (Testing update 2018-05-12)]


#2

Gee you type like me! :thinking:


#3

I confirm I also have this problem, has anyone thought of a workaround? When I try to access the spellchecking firefox-developer-edition throws the following errors:

error: file:///usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries/en_US.dic: cannot open
error: file:///usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries/en_US.aff: cannot open


#4

Are those files there? If not, you could copy (or symlink) from /usr/share/hunspell

I use firefox-dev from the mozilla site and spell check works fine…


#5

The files are there.

$ ll /usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries/en_US.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   3090 Feb 20  2017 /usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries/en_US.aff
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 545233 Feb 20  2017 /usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries/en_US.dic

What is the benefit of downloading from the mozilla site (other than for this problem)?


#6

Are those symlinks or files? If symlinks, try copying the actual files from /usr/share/hunspell. If that doesn’t work, I don’t know…

I had trouble with WebRTC with the Arch package, but it worked fine for me with the Mozilla package. And I prefer to choose when I update this beta version, since a new package comes out so often, twice a week. So I download from Mozilla myself when I want to update.


#7

/usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition/dictionaries is a symlink to /usr/share/hunspell/ so I tried creating an actual directory and putting the dictionary files in there, but it didn’t work.

I tried copying the dictionaries directory from the mozilla download version to /usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition, but it didn’t work.

I copied the entire mozilla download version to /usr/lib/firefox-developer-edition, and it worked.

:grin:

I think something in the Arch package is just broken.


#8

Thanks for the info! :smiley:


#9

UPDATE: Spell check is working again in 61.0b4 in testing repository.


closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.