Fix/set file manager mimetype in Manjaro distro

Hey there I just wanted to suggest fixing/setting the mimetype for the file managers in Manjaro desktops as it can cause conflicting issues with applications and the file manager and will open certain apps instead of the file manager like it does with vscode/vscodium

https://www.google.com/search?q=file+explorer+manjaro+opens+vscode

You can correct this by setting

[Default Applications]
inode/directory=org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop;

for Gnome desktops for example and different file managers for each DE/WM in ~/.config/mimeapps.list as the default config which will solve this issue

Isn’t the problem VSCode itself? Specifically its .desktop file visual-studio-code.desktop - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

MimeType=text/plain;inode/directory;application/x-visual-studio-code-workspace;

I don’t see how Manjaro should “fix” an issue caused by AUR package :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

//EDIT: wrong AUR package linked above, but same issue vscodium.desktop - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

MimeType=text/plain;inode/directory;
2 Likes

The code package from the repo does not have this flaw.

Just a reminder for those dropping by due to search engine indexes

3 Likes

Hmm that’s true, I will make a report to tell them to remove that silly option on their desktop shortcut. Thanks for informing me.

On the other hand, even not specifically for fixing that, maybe each Manjaro ISO could receive this setting pre-defined in /etc/skel/ so that each DE got its file manager forced like that, I assume it doesn’t hurt for a normal installation (but it may probably be not good in specific case I don’t know).

I don’t understand why this is in the desktop file for Codium, but it probably serves a purpose (maybe to be able to right click a folder and have the Codium menu options, or something like that).

1 Like

The mate version already does this. :slight_smile:

Also seems like disk usage analyzer has the same issue when you click open folder in the right click menu and will instead open gedit