"Filesystem root" and "tmp" mounted and reading flash drives issue

Hi community.

Can someone help me with this issue. I got this two paths mounted on a dock and Files file manager as well. When I try to unmount I got this message:

Unable to unmount “Filesystem root” unmount /: must be superuser to unmount.

Another issue is that I am not able to read any external drive/flash drives, and all these happened after recent update to GNOME 40.

Screenshot

Thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

They’re probably your root and temp filesystems and these are needed to run your system. Just hide them or if they can’t be hidden, ignore them…

To be absolutely sure, what’s the output of:

mount

:thinking:

Fabby, thank you for your message. I really appreciate your efforts.
‘mount’ output:

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4031736k,nr_inodes=1007934,mode=755,inode64)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755,inode64)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,inode64)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate,memory_recursiveprot)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=29,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=11679)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,inode64)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/gnome-3-28-1804_161.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/161 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/telegram-cli_34.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/telegram-cli/34 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/acrordrdc_28.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/acrordrdc/28 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/snapd_12704.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/12704 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/core18_2074.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/2074 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/snapd_12398.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/12398 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_11420.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/11420 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/skype_181.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/skype/181 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/wine-platform-5-stable_16.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/wine-platform-5-stable/16 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/gnome-3-28-1804_145.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/wine-platform-runtime_231.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/wine-platform-runtime/231 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/brave_123.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/brave/123 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/core18_2066.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/2066 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_11316.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/11316 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/skype_177.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/skype/177 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/brave_124.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/brave/124 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/wine-platform-runtime_230.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/wine-platform-runtime/230 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/gtk-common-themes_1515.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1515 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/gtk-common-themes_1514.snap on /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1514 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=808392k,nr_inodes=202098,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000,inode64)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
portal on /run/user/1000/doc type fuse.portal (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Yup: definitely don’t dismount them, but hide them instead!!!

:+1:

Fabby, so far I understand that I can’t dismount system directories. I couldn’t figure how to hide these?? I am not versed in Terminal, and no option is shown in GUI for hide/show.

1 Like

I’m on KDE so can’t give you an exact procedure to follow for Gnome, but you can always:

• ignore them!
  • pretend they’re not there!!
  • stick a piece of duct tape over the part of the screen they take up!!!

:joy:

As you seem to be now to the Linux world, click the green link below to have a read through this for a few laughs and also a few pieces of wisdom:

:bowing_man:

2 Likes

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

1 Like

Why are / and /tmp presented as “removable” devices? :grimacing:

Is this a bug / rare behavior of GNOME 40?

1 Like

oh, I didn’t expect that, but I will pretend they are not there … since I have only transparent duck tape :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thank you Fabby, I appreciate your time and patience.

1 Like

There is a Nautilius extension that allows a hide/unhide items, but as OP is new, I’d rather he/she ignores these for the moment until they get more familiar with their system or until they get really fed up with this! :grin:

(I’ve been on KDE like you for 5 years already, so I can’t remember any more what was an extension and what was built into my old Gnome system)

I’m suddenly having the exact same problem. It just started today. How can I hide them and get them out of my dock?

1 Like

Please read the solution or the topic right above the one you just posted!

:+1: