File extraction error Cannot Open: No such file or directory

How do i extract a file with tar.gz extension. I have followed all of the tutorials and get the same message:

tar (child): openshift-client-linux-4.1.4.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
     tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
     tar: Child returned status 2
     tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar xf openshift-client-linux-4.1.4.tar.gz

If it doesn't work, your download is probably corrupt.

1 Like

or doesnt exist/isnt the right path or directory.
For example - if that file resides in your Downloads directory you can
tar xf ~/Downloads/openshift-client-linux-4.1.4.tar.gz
or
cd ~/Downloads && tar xf openshift-client-linux-4.1.4.tar.gz
[by default terminal usually opens in your HOME ( ~ )]

1 Like

Yes it is in my downloads directory.

So ... you can either call the file and its path in total .. or you can navigate to that directory.
IE:
cd Downloads
then run your command again.

thank you. I did that and I didnt get the error message it just takes me to a new line to enter a command

well perfect. its extracted I bet:
ls | grep openshift
You will probably see it.
[and then possibly cd openshift-client-linux-4.1.4 and then do your stuff]

But... I am going to take this moment to also point out that there are more than a few 'openshift' packages in the AUR.

1 Like

see attached. and thanks for looking at this for me. I am struggling!

It looks like it worked. There should be a new folder in your home folder.

Wow... smh I have been at this all day. It worked

in your Downloads folder if that is where it was...

@CTPC if you want to keep doing these things in the terminal .. then navigate (cd = "change directory") to downloads:
cd Downloads
then probably
cd openshift-client-linux-4.1.4
and so on..

Got it! As you can see, I am attempting to install openshift 4.1 using linux. I have no prior linux knowledge however. Are you familiar with this code?

$ ./openshift-install create cluster --dir=<installation_directory> \
--log-level debug

Looks like some sort of install script .. but without access to the underlying text I have no idea what it is trying to do.

I still believe it may be best for you to use an AUR helper to just get a package from there instead of doing it manually (of course if you want to learn then by all means go ahead)

Assuming I see the right packages (I dont use this software) then you can use pamac or octopi for a GUI interface. You may also use cli AUR helpers like pamac yay or pacaur ... in those cases it looks like the name is origin-client.

(so for me, I use yay so the command would be yay -S origin-client)

[also many helpers, like yay, will allow you to search .. so yay openshift will return multiple examples]

got it ... Thanks!

No problem! Come back if you hit road blocks :wink:
[honestly you have no idea how refreshing it is to interact with an eager user instead of a troll :persevere:]

haha... in that case I will keep the questions coming...

I am attempting to install the extracted file

and getting that no such file or directory msg again

From what I see you are still not in the proper directory.
List files and directories:
ls
Then you probably want to enter Downloads
cd Downloads
then you can see everything there with ls again.
You probably want to enter the folder you unzipped so
cd openshift-client-linux-4.1.4
(you can probably just start typing 'openshift' and hit TAB and it will auto-complete for you)
[ also this is all 'step-by-step' .. you could instead from HOME do something like
.~/Downloads/openshift-client-linux-4.1.4/openshift-install create cluster --dir=<installation_directory> \
.. again assuming I have all those texts correct ... then you are running the install script that is within that directory - seeming to tell it to install to your root / ]

But continuing on the 'step-by-step' if you are now in the openshift folder .. then the first command you posted should work from there
( ./openshift-install create cluster --dir=<installation_directory> \

There is a kinda goofy, but good tutorial on these basic functions .. I will look for the link ...
Ah. here we go - https://linuxsurvival.com/

(..though I just noticed the weird windows 'forward slash' .. which seems a bit odd... but again, I know nothing of this software... )

1 Like

From the looks of the screenshot, he extracted into his home folder so it should be a subfolder of that.

Speaking of that, please don't post screenshots of text outputs @CTPC. Copy and paste the text instead.

Of course, since we don't know the name of the folder it is hard to provide an exact command.

I am not used to tar extracting into your current folder instead of the parent folder it resides in ...
is that common in some other case ?