Feeling A Bit Nostalgic About Dead Linux Distros - Will Manjaro be here in 5 years?

I don't understand this part. Sabayon is still alive. Are you saying you would stop using a distro just because it's no longer popular? If it still works fine for you, why stop?

3 Likes

If not Manjaro, I'm pretty sure Linux will still be around in 5 years. In 10, who knows? Maybe some BSD flavour?

As long as there is something to keep me occupied while I wait for the GNU Hurd to be ready for desktop. Any century now...

6 Likes

OK, I watched the youtube vid.

Guy seems to be speculating about the fate of Sabayon, Void, Solus. His sole reasoning for them being on life support is that they haven't released isos recently, or only rarely.

He may or may not be right, but that's rather dubious reasoning. And I'm still using these 3 and so far they are still alive.

You could also just install Void the net-install way. You probably don't need super new iso media for that. You can also go for months, maybe close to a year, without updating Void, and still be able to do so without a hitch from my experience. My original Void install was from a 9 month old iso (which was the latest release at that time), and I installed 9 months' worth of updates after that with no issue.

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: A religious debate about religious debates

One of the things I have always had in the back of my head; if Manjaro does go away I should be able to migrate to an Arch install without much issue.

Now, just for funnies, I am imagining Ubuntu disappearing and the lot of those users trying to migrate to Debian :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

How about If Arch disappeared…. ?
:sweat_smile:

6 Likes

What's all the fuss about we can't even guaranty we will be around i 5 mins so why worry about a insignificant thing like Dead Linux Distros. :rose:

7 Likes

I'm not. I shuffled off 7' ago,

:ghost:

2 Likes

A lot of us wish Ubuntu would just disappear. :man_dancing:

There's always another Linux distro coming around the bend. Then again, Imma whore. :wink:

6 Likes

I think Manjaro will be here for a while to come. The distro is doing too well. Phil has a Manjaro hardware lineup so that’s usually a sign of good health.

Well, you can’t stop people from leaving your distro, but generally if you maintain an active and positive community, people won’t want to leave. Manjaro does this so I don’t think it’s in any danger. Their development team seems to get along well, so I don’t see a Mandrake level fallout anytime soon. Also, Sabayon is still around, they just have an irregular release cycle. I’ve played with it last year. It was fun. Mandrake’s demise sucked, but it still kind of exists in the form of Mageia and OpenMandriva.

The one distro I am extremely concerned about is Slackware. I think there’s only one person that maintains the entire distro. Still, it’s the distro that refuses to die, and is still very much active, I can’t help but wonder if the one person maintaining it would like some help. It’s been 4 years since the last release. They do have kernel 5.4 on their current branch though so that’s a good sign.

6 Likes

That's fascinating. If I recall correctly, Solus started with one person's vision, people began to contribute, and eventually the original creator "left". I wonder what will happen to PCLinuxOS when Tex leaves, for whatever reason. I believe SolydXK may be a one-man-show as well.

2 Likes

Mandrake - Mandriva - Mageia

It's just transitions, and honestly until a few days ago I never tried Manjaro, but it would be a viable alternative should Mageia disappear, as is Debian. As long as not buntu is the last linux standing, all is well.

2 Likes

If Manjaro were to go away, I would switch to another Arch-Based distro. If that was not a choice, then I would go with Arch. If that was not a choice, then another Rolling Release Distro, if that's not a choice. I'm tired. I don't want to think about this.

2 Likes

That was so deep that I almost expected you to sign off with: "I use arch btw".

2 Likes

I'm toying with Mageia on my testing laptop. It's pretty solid, especially the GUI toolset. I prefer Manjaro as my daily but Mageia would be a great alt if something happened.

Haha.

2 Likes

Definitely their kde integration is great and it seems Manjaro doesn't lack either in that respect. Also both have a fine community.

2 Likes

As a newer Linux user I think it would just be a simple distro switch. Don't many linux users distro hop anyway? Although, hopefully in 20 years I'll be a cyborg and won't need a desktop environment anyway. Or maybe AI can maintain and update the distros, lol. 🤷

3 Likes

There is literally no way to know. I have seen so many distros come and go since I started using Linux. The one-man projects are almost all doomed to fail at some point. Even the larger ones can fail though. Especially those backed by corporate interests.

I stopped believing long-ago that any distro could be a "permanent" home. Sometimes they fail, sometimes they evolve in a way that doesn't suit my personal preference or sometimes something better comes along.

One of those seems to be.....not actually dead.

I don't follow sabayon all that closely but void and solus are both very much alive. I was actually impressed recently by how many more applications the solus repo has these days than it used to.

Of the distros I actively follow, the ones that seem to be at risk are chakra which seems to be on life-support and pclinuxos lives and dies with Tex. I would put Slackware on that list but it seems to carry on even though it is fairly out-of-sync with modern Linux at this point.

The really painful thing about Ubuntu disappearing would be all the downstream distros trying to adapt. Not to mention all the corporate users tied in with servers being managed by landscape.

He has been doing it for what, 27 years now? That run will come to end eventually. Slackware was the first distro I used.

5 Likes

All this has given me a question, if a distro “dies” is it possible for someone else to pick it up later and bring it back? As in someone else can maintain it?

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by