KDE Plasma - Can't Drag and Drop onto Chrome and Firefox

I used to be able to drag and drop files or images from anywhere onto browsers like Chrome and Firefox. However a few months ago after a certain system update this doesn’t work anymore. Now if I have to attach a file/image in my gmail, I’ll have to click the attachment icon and select the file to attach; and I also cannot drop an image onto Google Image to search. annoying. Is there any solution? I repeat: it happens to both Chrome and Firefox.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.5.3-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

I don’t use this function but noticed you have to click into the space where you want to drop the image before you select it. Maybe that’s your issue? Otherwise I have a fully updated plasma system and this function still works, so I’m thinking you have another problem besides an update.

Thanks. I can do this on MS windows, and also used to be able to do this on linux, even on Manjaro for a few years, it just stopped working a few months ago, not sure if it was caused by the system update or other things.

Works for me, I just dragged and dropped an image file onto Google Image Search in Firefox. Only difference is I’m using X11 instead of Wayland. So either it’s that or it’s something else on your system.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.5.3-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

If Wayland is the problem, why would it work for the first few years? Is there any solution that anyone knows?

If it’s not Wayland then it’s something else on your system.

Create a new user and login on that. Does it happen there?

Like the others above, I have no problem dropping a graphic onto Firefox, and having it load. Drag/drop seems to work as expected. I’m using X11. Do you have X11 installed as well as Wayland?

inxi -G

Why is the sky blue?

You could try switching to X11 (via the Login screen) to see if if the problem persists. If it doesn’t, then we would discover the issue is somehow Wayland related. It’s called a process of elimination.

Why not try it, rather than automatically dismissing the idea?!

If it works for you under X11, then there’s your immediate solution. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, and (maybe) sarcasm. The reason I wonder why if or if not Wayland is because it worked before this, so if it stopped working now I thought there might be a reason for it, and hopefully someone knows why and how to solve it. If it has never worked before I wouldn’t even know there is a problem now. As to switching to X11, I am not experienced enough to know how to switch, and if X11 and Wayland are mutually exclusive or not. I’ll find out and try it later after finishing an important job. Thanks. But if this solves the current problem, there still remain the original problem: is Wayland not able to drag and drop anymore? And, is there a solution without changing to X11?

I’m using Plasma Wayland and just successfully dragged & dropped a couple of picture files from Dolphin into a Gmail composition window in Firefox.

1 Like

Sarcasm? No. Everyone has a different environment; and software; and potential for things to go right, or wrong. Asking a question like “Why would it work for the first few years?” is basically unanswerable without investing a lot of time and guesswork. Like “Why is the sky blue?” – there is an answer, but the amount of effort or learning to answer it outweighs the need to.

I did tell you where to find the switch – it will be on your login screen; you’d need to actually look for it. There are not many places it could be (on the login screen) although it can vary between distributions – usually a toggle or dropdown showing X11 and/or Wayland. If both are present, you can switch. If not, you can’t. Simple.

X11 and Wayland are mutually exclusive, but can both be installed. Only one of the technologies are used at a time.

Wayland is the new kid on the block so to speak. As such, it’s constantly under development, and frequently messing up.

I use KDE/Plasma and that problem doesn’t occur with X11.

I just noticed @scotty65 mention that he doesn’t have that problem on Wayland. With that new information, we have effectively eliminated Wayland as the likely culprit.

Your problem is something else. What exactly? I don’t know. Probably nobody knows, unless they’ve had that very same issue, learned how to fix it, and bothered to leave enough information for others to learn from it. Let’s hope that’s the case.

Observation:- Many people tend to expect a solution to their issue; nay, demand it; and offer nothing in return. Sometimes there’s not a “thanks” for the assistance and research often done on their behalf. Oblivious, they might simply get what they want, and leave; with no ducks given :confused:.

Update:- I can confirm drag/drop of pictures is working in Google Chrome (and likely all chrome-based browsers) in both X11 and Wayland.

Extra:- You might want to google something like: “drag and drop not working in ArchLinux” seeing that Manjaro is based on Arch. You might get more streamlined results from that.

1 Like

How did you install the browsers, maybe as flatpak or snap?

1 Like

I suppose it’s even possible the cause relates to a favourite addon used on several browsers; perhaps triggered by a popup blocker or over-enthusiastic security extension, preventing drag/drop.

1 Like