Feature request - Japanese IME at install time

Hello, I am a new Manjaro user, I liked most of
the experience of installing Manjaro
except for one thing that would have been automatic in Ubuntu.
I chose Japanese as my installation language, and the font and everything displays
perfectly, but it did not install the Input Method for me, I had to install it
manually. and with confusing documentation it took me a long time...
here is what I did in the end, I hope you add it somehow ot the Manjaro installation

$ sudo pacman -S fcitx-mozc fcitx-gtk2 fcitx-gtk3 fcitx-qt4
~/.xprofile edit this file as follows:

export LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=fcitx"
export XMODIFIER="@im=fcitx"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export DefaultIMModule=fcitx

~/.bashrc add this to this file as follows:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx

Log out and log back in to restart X.

3 Likes

良くできました!
It is a common request from Chinese and Japanese folks to Manjaro devs, but they seem to always forget about this. @oberon, @philm, @Ste74, pls add Ibus to Gnome and Fcitx to Plasma upcoming flavours with configs described above (accordingly). .xprofile will do, or .pam_environment.

I think it is a difficult request.

Mostly because Manjaro is not targeted a specific audience like e.g. Deepin is.

i have done this with lxqt-kwin spin
just i used
fcitx5-git packages
instead of fcitx4

Yeah this is not a hard thing to do, I'd even tested ISOs with this, if necessary. Like, Ubuntu and others already did this a couple of years ago. Not Plasma distros though, but the recipe for Plasma is simple too, and is already located in the first post...

as stated in the wikipedia page of manjaro, the focus of manjaro is user friendliness and being able to use it right out of the box. but this needs to be true for users of all languages. since even ubuntu does this , I dont think this should even be compared to deepin. what is the point of offering a Japanese language setup if you cant even type in Japanese? this seems like a necessary thing...

2 Likes

I would also love to see this added.

And it is

Ubuntu has the resources because it is backed by Canonical - a company owned by a billionaire.

Manjaro is not Ubuntu but a small team of volunteers using their spare time - to build Manjaro. None of the team members has any knowledge of or speaks Japanese - which makes it impossible to support what may be a more or less complex setup.

Some of the members also volunteers to provide help with Manjaro and Linux in general.

While I can understand that some groups feels the need for adding special applications to support their special needs or preferences - there is not enough free time.

If you feel there is a need - then volunteer to fill the gap.

Manjaro 19.0 is almost finalized, so no room to add this. Also Japanese is not the only language from Asia.

From our company point of view our target is the western market. However we currently expand parts to Vietnam and I configured fcitx for unikey telex. Otherwise my wife can't type properly.

At Fosdem we meet with some of our community developers to see which projects we will focus more. We will also meet developers from KDE and therefore Calamares. So we might be able to push some imput method options into our project plan.

In the end it will be a low priority as documentation is given and can be therefore configured.

But we can start to document which packages and settings might be needed to speed the process up.

3 Likes

ok, dunno, point me to the sourcecode of the installer, particularly the final part of the install, and I will try my best... I guess I can check if the locale is Japanese and then invoke pacman -S and then inject the text into the files I mentioned...

afterthought: actually modifying the manjaro installer may be too ambitious for me, I will try to make an AUR that solved this problem instead...

According to my experience, in KDE Plasma it is enough to create a file ~/.pam_environment with the following content:

XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
DefaultIMModule=fcitx

It should be similar to Gnome:

XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
DefaultIMModule=ibus

My locale is en_GB now, and I have 0 problems with Japanese input, and the same was true for ru_RU when I had Russian locale in Manjaro. The above should work for any locale provided that fcitx/ibus and their relevant input methods (mozc/hangul/etc) are installed. This is why mozc / hangul / and so on should come preinstalled on live system, in Gnome / Xfce it would be ibus-mozc / ibus-hangul and so on, in KDE - fcitx-mozc / fcitx-hangul, etc. This will allow CJK input on live system.
But during installation, based on user's locale / language settings and choices, only relevant package(s) should be installed, for instance, if user's locale is Japanese and he/she is installing KDE, then fcitx-mozc is installed automatically, if user's locale is Korean and he/she is installing Xfce, then ibus-hangul gets autoinstalled.
I am not a coder but it seems to me that this should be a damn simple task for python language (or any other).

Additionally, managing locales from within MSM should prompt installation of relevant ibus / fcitx packages depending on the locale chosen. As far as I know, there are not so many languages using complex input methods, correct me if I am wrong but basically they are Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and ... what else?

well
if you really want to
list the input methods
well
they can be over 100
and may be more
as many as there are languages.
well i can only recognise two type of input methods

1. devnagari
  2. english

No I mean those langs that require input methods. There's also Russian input method, for instance, but a common practice is using Russian keyboard layout. Say, you're English but you want to input in Russian. All you need is to add a Russian keyboard layout then. But if you want to input in Japanese, you have use fcitx/ibus since it is a common practice for this language. As I understand, even Japanese prefer IMEs instead of Japanese keyboard layout, right?

Yes, that's correct. I have never met anyone who uses the characters on a Japanese keyboard.

Why not fcitx for Gnome?

From what I know, opposite to ibus, fcitx doesn't integrate well into Gnome's keyboard switcher. I may be wrong as I am not a Gnome person.

OK guys, after spending a while learning how to make an AUR package, I have the solution to this problem!
I made an AUR package that installs and sets up everything necessary for Japanese input :slight_smile:
here it is: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/manjaro_japanese_input/

I guess this problem can be marked as [SOLVED} :slight_smile:

guess not, I woke up today to find out my AUR had been deleted :frowning:

dont give manjaro in the package name

its aur for archlinux
so the package should not have manjaro in its name.
only themes and icon can have manjaro in its name.
it doesnt matter if its same package
just it should not be manjaro something.

You might be right. I have discovered this week end (well, my wife did) that gnome-shell kept crashing with fcitx... It didn't use to be the case. I need to investigate!

Forum kindly sponsored by