Logout > Login > Hangs for long

I’ve noticed several issues on this forum where people reported they had a blank screen with a loader and a mouse pointer only, after they would logout and log back in.

I was also affected by this issue and after I applied the two crucial changes, I can login now:

~/.xinitrc:
DEFAULT_SESSION=startplasma-x11

/etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/override.conf:
KillUserProcesses=yes

However, when I restart my Manjaro KDE, I usually wait for only 2-3s after the login screen to see my desktop up and running - but when I logout and login again, then I need to wait for more than 100s staring at the dark screen with a loader and a mouse pointer before I can see my desktop.

:warning: Whilst my system hangs during login, I opened another TTY to check my processor usage - it peaks within the first 5 seconds to 10.5%, the rest of the time it averages to 0.3%. My memory usage is also low.

I checked systemd-analyze critical-chain, but found nothing, since it boots normally… However I just found this within my Xorg.0.log:

[ 4.236] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration

:warning: Another interesting obesrvation: after a long waiting I could successfully login, but my KWin Tiling Window Manager doesn’t seem to work within that particular session.

Why is this happening and what should I do to resolve it?

Which kernel are you using ?

linux54

I had the same problems with kernel 5.8 and then I installed kernel 5.4.
For a long time I had no login/logout problems at all.
Today the login stuck for ~ 10 seconds and then it continued.

Did you apply the same changes below?

Could you logout and login to check if there’s any occurrence of systemd-logind warning message in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

I will wait for the next stall and then post the logs.
:slightly_smiling_face:

I continued to test logout/login multiple times with completely different results. This bug is not consistent, e.g.:

reboot > login as a new user A > logout > login > huge lag > system seems to work normally > logout > login as my default user B > huge lag > systems seems to work normally > logout > login as B > no lag(!) > systems seems to work normally > logout > login as B > huge lag > can’t see my desktop normally, can’t minimize the only window of Rambox, I could just go to TTY to reboot the system > login as B > logout > login as B > huge lag > not all services has been loaded and my tiling window manager doesn’t work > shutdown

This may be a related plasmashell bug for the issue above:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=424408

I’ve also noticed my coredumps add up in /var/lib/systemd/coredump after each logout/login attempt.

core.pamac-tray-appi*.zst
core.plasmashell*.zst

Good news for this bug is that the KDE developers have tested a clean install of Fedora KDE spin and this particular bug is reproducible OOTB, both before and after full system upgrades. They concluded it breaks multi-user desktops and should be looked at with higher priority.

You could check the status of the bug at the URL above.