Favorite Lesser-Known Apps?

I have been googling trying to find those hidden gems that you dont find out about unless you look. It seems however that every list I find has the same junk on it everyone knows about (heres a secret, use Firefox as a browser…shsh! Dont tell anyone! O O and VLC for videos…dont let that secret out!).

What I am interested in are the programs you guys know about that one wouldnt find unless they knew to look for it.

Here are some that I use that I feel arent widely popular but are useful and deserve a chance:

• Wavebox - a kind of desktop client for webmail and other web-centric services like Onedrive, calenars, etc. I use it with my Google and Live services to centralize monitoring and working with them. (I did get the paid version to be able to use it to its full potential, at like $20/year its been worth it).
  • Shotcut - A video editor very similar looking to kdenlive but in my opinion more stable and has more features. It also works on Windows (first started using it there) as well as other OS’s. I think lately its starting to get more popular.
  • Event Calendar - a KDE 5 Plasma Widget, replaces the digital clock widget on the panel and includes a more robust calendar popup with weather and if desired linked to Google Calendar. Very customizable too.

On Windows I have that list of applications I install right away, but not so much on Linux. Part of the reason is likely because Linux typically has more ability out of the box (with things like compressed/archive files, utilities, etc.) but also partly because I simply dont know about those niche programs yet on Linux.

So what are your guys go-to programs that arent widely known/obvious?

Thanks

8 Likes
Video, etc production
Wie wird man das Nicht-Vergessen los?

Maybe not so lesser-known, but not always available in all distros, so sometimes I hsve to compile them if there isn’t a binary available.

• Paprefs in all DEs, since I prefer to play audio/video and stream to laptop & BT speakers concurrently. Doing so extends the perceived tone range by a huge amount on this laptop. With paprefs, it’s just a checkbox (which was built-in to KDE just a few months back, but is now absent).

• Pavucontrol-qt in Plasma, or Pavucontrol in GTK. After setting Paprefs, I can use Pavucontrol to adjust the BT latency for both sets of speakers.

Maybe not so lesser-know, but required for really good audio/video output on my system(s).

I also use Event Calendar in Plasma.

regards

4 Likes

Medit (formerly mooedit) as editor. It has an integrated console, can run compiler commands via shortcut, has a multidocument view, is very light and can handle large files very well.

4 Likes

Sayonara - sayonara-player in aur
A music player. Great for local media.

Sunflower - sunflower in community repo
A lightweight but functional two pane file manager

2 Likes

Some my favorites are:

• synapse
  • gcolor
  • geany
  • agave
  • luckybackup
  • remarkable
2 Likes

Some my favorites are:

brightness-controller
midnight commander ----TUI file manager
minicopier ----GUI file copy utility
mlocate ----terminal find utility
profile-sync-daemon ----run browser cache in RAM
qdirstat ----GUI drive space usage display utility
recoll ----full text search utility
simplenote ----notes with phone & network sync
tinymediamanager
tixati ----BitTorrent client
xnviewmp ----graphics viewer
onboard ----virtual keyboard

1 Like

Call me nuts but one of these apps is well none but mostly depreciated mutt or neomutt. It’s fun to study it and find the right setup to view any attachments. Most impressive about it is how fast you can get rid of all the trash in your inbox.

1 Like

trash-cli. i hate that xfce tries to hold my hand when i want to delete something. if i delete, it moves it to trash. if i shift delete, it deletes, but only after a prompt. …so i put a trash-cli command in cron, use delete as if it’s actually delete, and my trash gets emptied every 15 minutes.

3 Likes

If you guys wouldnt mind, could you post descriptions (brief) of what each app does just for reference to those reading so they know if it would interest them without them needing to google each program.

So far some interesting suggestions, I now have some research and testing to do for a handful of new apps.

@c00ter What bt speakers do you use? How do you like them? Could you elaborate on your setup for audio? (what player, what hardware, overall setup/scenario/use case). I have so far only used bluetooth streaming from my laptop to my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR676) to play music on my stereo, but would be interested in possibly getting something portable I can play to.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hey guys, forgot to mention I am really in need of a good music player. The thing is I dont really have any local music. I primarily use Amazon Prime music, Pandora, Spotify and sometimes Google Music (and streaming radio stations).

I had something a year or so back that was basically an app that handled all of them but was really kind of a browser wrapper around them and cant recall the name. EDIT: Nuvola Player was the name, I may have to check it out again and see if its still the right tool for this.

However, what really appealed to me was an defunct app called tomahawk (https://www.tomahawk-player.org/) which I dont think gets updated any longer. Never having used it, all the descriptions seem to speak directly to my desired usage.

I have been unable to find a similar program to tomahawk thats still maintained. I’d be open to recommendations. Thanks

LOL, you kinda misread me. :smiley: I stream from the Intarwebs to my Lappy (Amazon Prime, HBO, Netflix, et al), via my browser Chromium (+widevine plugin). The audio/video stream(s) output to A) my cruddy laptop speakers or, B) my cheapo $50 BT speaker tower from Wal-Mart or, C) both of them at the same time, thereby producing a more theater-like effect, which I can also somewhat control via latency adjustments in pavucontrol.

It’s just a simple, cheap but effective setup that fits my very limited budget. Et voila! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah I see, so it lets you use more than just the built-in speakers OR bt speaker and you can combine both and then tweak the audio to your liking? Seems pretty neat, ill have to check it out.

2 Likes

I loved how Medit syntax-highlighted .desktop files that too other text editors (Atom, Sublime Text and VSCode) can not.

2 Likes
  • Ranger: excellent cli filemanager
  • micro: gui style text editor for terminal
  • fzf: dmenu for terminal. The basic building block of pacui
  • spacefm: a light filemanager. Relatively well known, but not many people know that you can use it as zenity replacement for your scripts
6 Likes

I knew it. But I am interested in micro.

Howl text editor. Lightweight GUI text editor. https://howl.io/

All you really need to know is “alt+x”! You can kinda think of it as vim for how hard it is to learn.

1 Like

Well, from top of my mind
Gnome Todo with todoist plugin, so far the only to-do app that can be synchronized across all my devices and platforms (linux, android and windows).

2 Likes

General:

• wavebox: I use it to access my gmail accounts and google services (drive etc.)
  • grsync: GUI for rsync
  • displaycal: I use it to color calibrate my displays (a colorimeter is needed)
  • keepassxc: I use it archive all my passwords
  • pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa: Equalizer for pulseaudio (with presets)
  • pavucontrol or pavucontrol-qt: Pulseaudio mixer
  • geeqie: An excellent image viewer
  • bleachbit: A cleaning utility

LaTeX related:

• kile: An excellent IDE for LaTeX
  • texstudio: Another excellent IDE for LaTeX
  • kbibtex: Useful for organizing BibTeX entries (bibliography)

KDE specific:

• vaults (widget): I use it to password protect sensitive files and folders
  • akregator: An excellent feed reader
  • partitionmanager: I use it to manage disks and partitions
  • filelight: I use it to view disk usage information
  • okular: An excellent PDF viewer
  • gwenview: An excellent image viewer
  • ark: Archiving tool

For photographers:

• darktable: An excellent RAW developer for photographers (better than Adobe Lightroom)

For scientists:

• openblas as a replacement for blas
  • gsl, The GNU Scientific Library

Music:

• gpmdp: Desktop player for Google Music
5 Likes

the only one not already mentioned in this thread I use is the text editor nano, other than that the more obvious PlayOnLinux front-end for WINE

4 Likes

This looks really neat. Am I understanding right that todoist is like a service/cloud thing and your using gnome’s todo app to use it on the desktop? Does todoist store the lists or do you tie it into another cloud storage like dropbox?