Favorite Lesser-Known Apps?

This thread to revive @Zer0Cool original one

I find it very interesting to discover “these gems that one wouldnt find unless they knew to look for it.”

What are yours ?

Can you provide install command and screenshot ?

5 Likes

font-manager to one clic manage fonts ! :wink:

sudo pacman -S font-manager

8 Likes

meld: Compare files, directories and working copies

4 Likes

Well, I just this morning searched for how to apply transparency to gnome terminal, and I found that it had no setting for that, but someone had already forked gnome-terminal and made a gnome-terminal-transparency package. So that would be my contribution to this thread. Hey, it was new to me, OK!? :slight_smile:

gnome-terminal-transparency

1 Like

Qutebrowser is a keyboard-focused browser with a minimal GUI.

https://qutebrowser.org/

3 Likes

Pacman can’t install AUR packages. :wink:

FYI, Fedora’s GNOME Terminal has transparency as well so there’s two options. It’s in the repos as gnome-terminal-fedora.

3 Likes

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications

if you want a great list …

2 Likes

This is my personal one, it searches official repos and AUR, displays infos using fzf and, then installs/removes using pacman/yay. Similar to PacUI or ToolBox. Put together with good help from the community here.

3 Likes

I’m a newbie for around 4 months now, and 'just love customizing.
Autokey is quite useful to make custom symbols, phrases to paste using Clipboard.

Just Like I used Alt+. to insert ◉
Though I still have issues for pasting Japanese Characters. but, oh well, I’ll get it working sometime sooner or later.

yay -S autokey

Additional Note I have for myself before:
Previous Error: No UI
Troubleshoot Method: $ autokey-qt5 -l
Fix: $ sudo pacman -S python-qscintilla-qt5

I also take my Unicode Symbols from here.

2 Likes

Dang it, I just assumed it was in the standard repositories :slight_smile:

PROPRIETARY LICENSE

GPL LICENSE

Totally useless, that’s why it’s essential : bucklespring keyboard sound

4 Likes

fuzzy-pkg-finder looks interesting, and it’s just a shell script. The image reminds me of cli version of openSUSE’s YaST (rpm) or Synaptic Package Manager (apt). I know pacman can do all this, but I can never seem to get the right options. Is it -Q or -S, and then what :slight_smile:

On the command line, I currently use pkgfile to quickly find the package name.

1 Like

I was unaware of pkgfile tbh. This is very interesting, thanks you!

orphan-manager : (Use with caution!) removes orphan packages.

hblock : edits your hosts file to block ads throughout the system.

sshuttle : single command SSH tunneling (A.K.A poor man’s VPN)

edex-ui : a movie-inspired “hacky looking”, “show-off only” terminal. Works well with co-workers.

blockify : This lies in a gray area. It mutes spotify advertisements. Doesn’t block them, just mutes.

4 Likes

whois does what it says !

[meuh@ordi1 ~]$ whois manjaro.org
Domain Name: MANJARO.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D164131266-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.antagus.de
Registrar URL: http://www.vautron.de
Updated Date: 2019-12-16T01:23:09Z
Creation Date: 2011-12-15T15:54:40Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-12-15T15:54:40Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: Vautron Rechenzentrum AG
Registrar IANA ID: 1443
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@vautron.de
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.9415990570
Reseller:
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
Registrant Organization:
Registrant State/Province: DE
Registrant Country: DE
Name Server: NS1.FIRST-NS.DE
Name Server: ROBOTNS2.SECOND-NS.DE
Name Server: ROBOTNS3.SECOND-NS.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form https://www.icann.org/wicf/)
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-09-01T16:30:10Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

Access to Public Interest Registry WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the Public Interest Registry registry database. The data in this record is provided by Public Interest Registry for informational purposes only, and Public Interest Registry does not guarantee its accuracy. This service is intended only for query-based access. You agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to (a) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing customers; or (b) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of Registry Operator, a Registrar, or Afilias except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations. All rights reserved. Public Interest Registry reserves the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

The Registrar of Record identified in this output may have an RDDS service that can be queried for additional information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
[meuh@ordi1 ~]$ 
1 Like

howdy : face recognition for Linux
(heard of, but not tested in my case, if somebody used it, you’re welcome to tell !)

QMPlay2. I use it as my favourite media player rather than the most known mpv.

1 Like

Not achieved to unlock automatically at login (at boot or after a lock) but it works into the session each time the admin password is required (yay, pacman -Syu, launch of gufw, …)
A bit slow compared to facial recognition from my phone and sometimes hit and miss, but it works.

1 Like

asciinema to record & embed terminal behaviour -> Favorite Lesser-Known Open-Source Resources?

sudo pacman -S asciinema

then

asciinema rec

You can create an account to save for more than 7 days (no password, it’ll send you a temporary link)