"Failed to start VirtualBox Linux kernel module..." Error on boot

After upgrading my kernel to linux515, I get the following errors on boot:

❯ systemctl start vboxdrv
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxdrv.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Job for vboxdrv.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vboxdrv.service" and "journalctl -xeu vboxdrv.service" for details.
❯ systemctl status vboxdrv.service
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxdrv.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload>
× vboxdrv.service - VirtualBox Linux kernel module
     Loaded: loaded (/opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2022-03-27 18:19:03 PKT; 36s ago
    Process: 22249 ExecStart=/opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
        CPU: 697us

Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: Starting VirtualBox Linux kernel module...
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[22249]: vboxdrv.service: Failed to locate executable /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh: No such fil>
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[22249]: vboxdrv.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh: No such fi>
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: Failed to start VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
❯ journalctl -xeu vboxdrv.service
░░ The process /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh could not be executed and failed.
░░ 
░░ The error number returned by this process is ERRNO.
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[22249]: vboxdrv.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh: No such fi>
░░ Subject: Process /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh could not be executed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ 
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ 
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit vboxdrv.service has exited.
░░ 
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 203.
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ 
░░ The unit vboxdrv.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 27 18:19:03 myms-80tu systemd[1]: Failed to start VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit vboxdrv.service has failed
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit vboxdrv.service has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 1868 and the job result is failed.

I tried uninstalling linux515-virtualbox-host-modules and reinstalling, but that didn’t work.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

PS: I forgot to say that after getting this error, connecting USBs to my VMs doesn’t work.

Hi @YoungFellow,

Have you done this?

systemctl daemon-reload

Yes, and I still get the same error

UPDATE:

❯ sudo modprobe vboxpci
[sudo] password for myms: 
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxpci not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.28-1-MANJARO

I ran:

sudo pacman -S linux-headers

And that didn’t fix anything. But after that, this happens:

❯ sudo rcvboxdrv
[sudo] password for myms: 
Unloading modules: vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv 
Loading modules: vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv 

# But....

❯ systemctl daemon-reload
❯ systemctl start vboxdrv
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxdrv.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Job for vboxdrv.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vboxdrv.service" and "journalctl -xeu vboxdrv.service" for details.

# ...and...

❯ sudo modprobe vboxpci
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxpci not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.105-1-MANJARO

# ...and the rest is the same ($ systemctl status vboxdrv.service)
# and ($ journalctl -xeu vboxdrv.service)

I booted from kernel linux510, and faced the same problems.

❯ ls /opt/VirtualBox | grep 'vboxdrv'
vboxdrv.sh.old

And I stupidly deleted all .old files :man_facepalming:

I reinstalled virtualbox, but that made no difference, all the .old files are gone.

(Before I removed the .old files)

❯ ls /opt/VirtualBox
 additions                          libQt5WidgetsVBox.so.5.old     VBoxAutostart.old                vboximg-mount.old            VBoxTestOGL.old
 components                         libQt5X11ExtrasVBox.so.5.old   vboxballoonctrl-service.sh.old   VBoxKeyboard.so.old          VBoxTunctl.old
 dtrace                             libQt5XcbQpaVBox.so.5.old      VBoxBalloonCtrl.old              VBoxManage.old               VBoxVMM.so.old
 ExtensionPacks                     libvboxjxpcom.so.old           VBoxBugReport.old                VBoxNetAdpCtl.old            VBoxVolInfo.old
 icons                              LICENSE.old                    VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh.old         VBoxNetDHCP.old              vboxweb-service.sh.old
 nls                                postinst-common.sh.old         VBoxDbg.so.old                   VBoxNetDHCP.so.old           vboxwebsrv.old
 plugins                            prerm-common.sh.old            VBoxDD.so.old                    VBoxNetNAT.old               VBoxXPCOM.so.old
 rdesktop-vrdp-keymaps              rdesktop-vrdp.old              VBoxDD2.so.old                   VBoxNetNAT.so.old            VBoxXPCOMC.so.old
 sdk                                rdesktop-vrdp.tar.gz           VBoxDDR0.r0.old                  VBoxPython.so.old            VBoxXPCOMIPCD.old
 src                                routines.sh.old                VBoxDDU.so.old                   VBoxPython2_6.so.old         VirtualBox.chm.old
 UnattendedTemplates                UICommon.so.old                VBoxDragAndDropSvc.so.old        VBoxRT.so.old                virtualbox.desktop.old
 check_module_dependencies.sh.old   uninstall.sh                   vboxdrv.sh.old                   VBoxSDL.old                  VirtualBox.old
 DbgPlugInDiggers.so.old            UserManual.pdf.old             VBoxDTrace.old                   VBoxSDL.so.old               virtualbox.xml.old
 kchmviewer.old                     vbox-img.old                   VBoxExtPackHelperApp.old         VBoxSharedClipboard.so.old   VirtualBoxVM.old
 libQt5CoreVBox.so.5.old            VBox.png.old                   VBoxGuestControlSvc.so.old       VBoxSharedFolders.so.old     VirtualBoxVM.so.old
 libQt5DBusVBox.so.5.old            VBox.sh.old                    VBoxGuestPropSvc.so.old          vboxshell.py.old             VMMR0.r0.old
 libQt5GuiVBox.so.5.old             VBoxAuth.so.old                VBoxHeadless.old                 VBoxSVC.old                 
 libQt5OpenGLVBox.so.5.old          VBoxAuthSimple.so.old          VBoxHeadless.so.old              VBoxSVGA3D.so.old           
 libQt5PrintSupportVBox.so.5.old    vboxautostart-service.sh.old   VBoxHostChannel.so.old           VBoxSysInfo.sh.old         

How did you install VirtualBox?

I ask because I do not have anything in /opt regarding VirtualBox
(but I’m not running Manjaro …)

If the package is not totally different for Manjaro than that for Arch, then there should not be anything there.

The process /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh could not be executed and failed.
░░ 
░░ Subject: Process /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh could not be executed
░░ 

Is that actually supposed to even exist when VirtualBox is installed from standard repos?

The process /opt/VirtualBox/vboxdrv.sh could not be executed and failed.

I was going to say, it was solved by installing virtualbox-bin

Is that actually supposed to even exist when VirtualBox is installed from standard repos?

Nope.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.