Failed to start Simple Desktop Display Manager

Unfortunately the same thing. Is there a clean way to uninstall/reinstall xorg and led plasma without affecting the rest of the system?

Do not unistall packages, just reinstall them the way i mentioned above about sddm and plasma-desktop.
sudo pacman -Syu xorg-xerver xorg-xerver-comon xorg-xerver-wayland

This is just an example.
Is the display failing to start too if you create a test user and try to log in?

Appreciate the help, but I just ended up reinstalling as the time my computer was down, is longer than the time it would take to set it back up (maybe lol)

Did anyone find a fix? This is the second time it’s happened to me and I’m not installing Manjaro again. The only thing it says for me is “[Failed] Failed to start Simple Desktop Display Manager” and I can’t type anything…

I am facing the same issue.
Did you find any solution to this?

I have just encountered this issue as well after the 2020-08-22 update.
@bogdancovaciu I booted off a Live USB and use chroot too run the reinstall you suggested but it did not rectify the issue.

@lallmon: thanks for the photo! exactly what happened to my system today…

@el1x: feel you here, don’t know which update exactly bombed my system that way but encountered it today. :frowning:

Solution in my case was, what bogdancovaciu posted with stopping, disabling and enabling sddm. After reboot my system could start up again. :slight_smile:

Don’t know what happened really, strange issue right here.

A post was split to a new topic: Could not resolve host

I also had the same problem.
It was a driver(graphics) problem.
I did the following to solve it …
Ctrl + Alt + F2
Input username and password.
Then hit Enter.
Now type mhwd -l -d
Here you will see a list of installed and available drivers.
In the list of available drivers you might find some with PRIORITY: 0 .
Sometimes they are the ones causing problem.
As for me it is was video-vesa .
So, all I had to do was remove it.
To remove it you may use the following command.
sudo mhwd -r pci [name of driver]
Note: pci because it showed ATTACHED: PCI in mhwd. If it shows ATTACHED: USB you need to type usb instead of pci
For me I typed sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa and removed the driver.
Then I rebooted my pc. sudo reboot.
Finally, I’ve solved the problem and also know what caused the problem.

5 Likes

Yesss, this did the trick for me. I had recently installed video-vesa without knowing what it was. Stupid me. Thank You!!

I am using optimus-switch-sddm for graphics because it was the only way for me to get my Linux laptop to work with external monitors properly. GitHub - dglt1/optimus-switch-sddm: easy installer for optimus-switch for SDDM, sets up nvidia PRIME and also allows for easy switching between intel/nvidia (prime mode) and intel only mode where nvidia gpu is powered down and no longer visible. modes are switched with "sudo set-intel.sh" or "sudo set-nvidia.sh" .

What solved the issue for me, was to run the following, where XXX is the updated kernel (with which the sddm started to fail).

sudo pacman -S linuxXXX-headers acpi_call-dkms xorg-xrandr xf86-video-intel git

In addition, I also ran the below (not sure if it mattered) and rebooted.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu plasma-desktop sddm qt5-base

1 Like

My problem was exactly the same and your solution resolved the issue.

Thanks!
This worked for me too.

Its worked. Thank you!

Hi, got the same problem here. video-vesa is listed with PRIORITY 0.

But when I try to remove it via Preformatted text sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa I got the output : Error: config ‘video-vesa’ is not installed!`

So rebooting the computer, or update it with sudo pacman -Syyu don’t do anything, I still got the error right after linux start.

I’m using a Thinkpad W530, dual GPU (Integrated intel HD4000 and NVIDIA Quadro K2000M).

If you have any ideas how this is happening, it could help me, as this problem appears after rebooting the computer after Manjaro latest “big” update.

1 Like

Same problem for me, I tried all solutions here and can’t solve it

I recently had this issue, again.
Deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file then rebooting fixed it for me.

I met the same problem when I update my kernel from 58 to 59……have you solved this problem?

I use optimus-switch-sddm for graphics, after I typed sudo set-intel.sh in TTY and reboot,I successfully entered my desktop. I hope this may help you.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.