Failed to start pysolfc [Python 3.9] ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'validate'

After latest Stable update 2020-12-30 the game PySolFC won’t start with terminal output:

~$ pysol
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pysol", line 36, in <module>
    from pysollib.main import main  # noqa: E402,I202
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pysollib/main.py", line 30, in <module>
    from pysollib.app import Application
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pysollib/app.py", line 45, in <module>
    from pysollib.options import Options
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pysollib/options.py", line 40, in <module>
    import validate
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'validate'

Found a workaround on the link below, on row 40 in /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pysollib/options.py
by changing
import validate
to
import configobj.validate as validate
the game starts again.

Links with more info:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/69090?project=5

https://sourceforge.net/p/pysolfc/discussion/503708/thread/f4d19e3919/?limit=25

3 Likes

Thanks for the solution, I had the same problem, and your solution solved it.

Is there a way to signal this to the package maintainers, in order to get this fixed permanently, so that not everyone need to start changing in python source code ?

1 Like

Thank you for confirming. It’s a temporary workaround and I think there will probably be a solution when more important stuff is fixed first. I am not sure but think the more correct place for signaling to maintainers is in the Development forum section but will hopefully be seen here in support anyway.

In the mean time I saw in pamac that there is an e-mail of the package maintainer.
I sent an e-mail there, with a link to this topic, and a request to make a new version of the package that includes your solution, but got no reply

Found this in the forum with the same error message.

1 Like

Nope, it’s not a solution (and not mine, see Arch link), it’s a temporary workaround :upside_down_face: :blush:

Fixed by the stable update today, the workaround no longer necessary :smiley: :partying_face: :v:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.