Failed to start Light Display Manager - Can't get other forum answers to work

Command not found

Then try gnome-session --session gnome-wayland

It doesn’t even respond to that, just opens the next command line

Return back to either TTY 1 or 2!:sweat_smile:

Okay, back to tty2. I don’t have tty1

So I also just looked up Wayland on Manjaro, could my Nvidia be preventing it?

It is a strong possibility, but starting from kernel 5.10, NVIDIA drivers won’t be included anymore!

Reinstalling might be the solution.

What you want to do is to backup your home directory , or ~/.config and ~/.wine in order to save your configurations and wine games.

Ah, I’ll just go with a fresh start, I can reinstall games easily enough, my boyfriend has all our games backed up on his PC. It’s mostly old win games from the late 90’s and I haven’t been active on my steam games so if I lose those I can just start fresh. I pretty much only use my PC for gaming, I have a separate pc for work.

So does my graphics card need to use Nvidia or are there other drivers that I’m able to use for Wayland integration?

Hm, for now i would suggest to just start installing the XFCE version, see how it goes! :sweat_smile:

Sounds good! Hey, we gave it the good ol college try! It’s been a pleasure! :blush:

I may wish you a wonderful day, and wish you luck!! :smile:

You too Quantum! Happy holidays ahead! :snowflake:

PS, Manjaro is already reinstalled!

1 Like

Thank you so much!
So sweet from you!!

I wish you the best!!:grin:

Hey all I know I am late but just for future reference

lightdm defaults to the gtk greeter try running
sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter
then try enabling lighdm

I hope this will work!

If this comes up in the future, I’ll keep this post marked for future reference. I’m back up and running in a fresh install!

EDIT Got it fixed. Had to dig around to figure out how to remove the Nvidia 440xx. Once I got that done I was able to install 455xx and the GUI loaded up as normal.

Hi! I’m also having this issue. I’ve tried a bunch of things in other, older threads. I got to the lightdm point in your thread, but now when I boot it just shows a black screen :frowning:

1 Like