Failed to start Light Display Manager - Can't get other forum answers to work

What didn’t work, what is the current situation?
What steps have you followed?

I completed sudo pacman -Syyuu
Then I typed: reboot

The same failed to start light display manager screen came up on reboot

RIght now the quick escape i can think for that ins by installing another display manager…

Open a TTY once again, login, then input sudo pacman -S gdm && sudo systemctl start gdm

We will investigate further after…

Still got nothing. :cry:

Have you executed startx , may I ask?

I just tried, server errors

Unable to connect to x server : connection refused

Please try sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300.

Else, try the commands with sudo privileges:

sudo rm ~/.*
cp -r /etc/skel/.* ~/

In order for use to find more precise solution, you may provide detailed informations!!

No such file or directory. Well quantum, looks like we’ve come full circle and a complete reinstall from scratch may be needed? I do have a manjaro copy on my flash drive. Sadly, I’ll need to recall all my packages, but at least I keep files on my other hard drive.

I would like to help you out, but given the little to no information at reach I have in regard to your issue, guessing is my only option. But you have to also help by providing detailed information about what is happening, and your overall issue and what may have lead to this.

Thank you for your comprehension! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If I could provide detailed information easily, I would, what information do you need? It’s certainly difficult without being able to provide screenshots or copying commands since I cannot access the computer outside of the tty screen. :pensive:

The only thing I can think of what may have lead to this issue was the most recent update last week. It had trouble installing twice and I haven’t restarted since prior to today.

Hm, try entering sudo nano /etc/default/grub

then find quiet splash and remove that line and add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset" .
Hit ctrl+s to save, followed by ctrl+x to exit.

May then execute sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

I’m not seeing “quiet splash”, but I see "quiet apparmor…

In that case, may indeed just add nomodeset!:slightly_smiling_face:

Oh my… Still isn’t doing the trick. I wish this site would allow me to send pictures of what is happening! Uggghhh!

I greatly appreciate all your help tonight, but I think I’m just going to do a fresh install of manjaro. That may just be the easiest option. :pensive:

This has been a great learning experience and my apologies if I’ve wasted your time tonight.

I wish I knew how in earth I got into this mess to begin with, computers can be so fickle.

I have eight monitors, including one dedicated specifically for chats and forums, while working.

It is therefore not time wasted, but rather ‘‘multitasking’’!:grin:

No time is wasted with me.

What I would recommend is legit installing Gnome!

sudo pacman -S gnome , systemctl enable gdm.service --force

It mostly runs of Wayland nowadays, and should overcome your Xorg issues without loosing any data by reinstalling!

After installing gnome, before restarting, you may execute sudo nano /etc/gdm/custom.conf
Then find the line starting by #WaylandEnable=false, then remove the # and change false to true!

Save everything and reboot!

Thank you quantum! What is Wayland and xorg? I feel like in all of these screens I’ve seen xorg failures. I haven’t started my reinstall just yet. If I could send you some of the things I’ve seen this evening, it probably would’ve solved much of this evening’s issues. BTW, I’m chatting using my phone. :joy:

Yes, there are no other ways!

In brief, Xorg is responsible for displaying stuff on your screen… Wayland is the same thing, but modern, relatively new, in opposite to Xorg which is 40 years old…

Gnome is another desktop environment, which XFCE is a fork from this one!

(I use Gnome…)

Okay, I’ve executed those commands and still failed to start display manager! I made sure to save and completed in the order you mentioned. Could something just be so corrupted it’s beyond repair?

:thinking: Open a TTY, log in then simply enter wayland