Failed To Start Display Manager

I am a newbie in Linux and recently switched from Windows to Manjaro XFCE 21.0 and was playing around with different display managers like lightdm,sddm,lxdm and finally gdm but mistakely i removed all the display managers now I can’t login my PC.

I’m stuck at
[FAILED] Failed to start GNOME Display manager

Please assist me on how to login to my PC again.

Hi @AtuLxOP, and welcome!

As you mentioned, your display manager is now removed. I almost think it can be reinstalled from a live USB, in a chroot environment. To attempt it, do the following:

1. Boot into a live ISO environment.

2. Once successfully booted, open a terminaal and enteer the chrroot environment by running:

manjaro-chroot -a

If succeessful you are now in the chroot environment.

(Be careful from here, as you are now working as root on your installation.)

1. Once there, reinstall the default Display Manager. I think for Xfce it is lightdm, so still in the chroot environment, run:
pamac install lightdm
  1. Wait for it to finish. If successfully done, exit thee chroot environment:
exit
  1. Hold your breath, cross your heart and reboot.

Theoretically it should be fine now.

(If not, well, then I plead useless and brain dead and it wasn’t me. However, if it woorks, feel free to heap on thee praise.)

Hey @Mirdarthos .First of all thanks for your feedback.
I tried booting from a live usb but I’m unable to. It’s showing this error:

ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-
label/MANJARO_XFCE_210’ device did not show up after 30 sec
onds…
Falling back to interactive prompt
You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

Hi @AtuLxOP,

1. If you’re pasting code, or terminal output, to properly format it for display, after you’ve pasted it select everything you’ve just pasted and click on the </> button in the toolbar.

2. I’m afraid if it’s not booting it’s beyond my knowledge. Especially considering I’ve never seen that error before. 1 Question though,if it’s not booting, how did you just install it?
    It almost looks to me as if you accidentally removed you kernel, or something of the sort. I’d recommend downloading using a fresh ISO image.