Failed to mount /run/media/Games and then go into in emergency mode

Hello everyone, my system was more than fine until I updated my kernel to 5.15.7 and this morning when I started my computer the following appeared on the screen

[Failed] Failed to mount /run/media/franco/Games
[Depend] Dependency failed for Local File Systems
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type “journalctl -xb” to view system logs, “systemctl reboot” to reboot, “systemctl default” or “exit” to boot into default mode.
Root password for maintenance (or press Control-D to continue):

This partition has my game files, but it occupies half of my external hard drive, the other half has personal files. I would like if it were possible, not to format my disk so as not to lose those files. Games are not that important. Please, if someone knows how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful since I am studying with my pc. And if you can explain to me why this failure happened too, I have been in Linux for 1 year and I want to learn more. Thanks a lot!

I’d suggest to temporarily comment the related line in /etc/fstab, so you can at least boot normally.
Then troubleshoot that partition:

mount -a

How do I go about commenting out that / etc / fstab line? I would like to be able to start my computer and then see how I fix that partition

The easiest way to do that would be through a liveUSB, if you have one at hand.

Otherwise, you’ll need to do that in the emergency shell – i don’t remember if all commands are available there:

• Edit the file with vi /etc/fstab . If you are not familiar with vi:
    • use the direction keys to place the cursor at the beginning of the infringing line
    • tap i to enter insert mode
    • tap # to add a sharp character at the beginning of the line, commenting it
    • tap Esc to leave insert mode
    • tap :wq to save and leave vi
  • Reboot with systemctl reboot .
2 Likes

I managed to comment on that line, I restarted and I was able to start the session normally, thank you very much friend. Now what do you recommend me to do? format the disk or what?

It would be wiser to troubleshoot it first, as suggested earlier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.