Manjaro isn´t installed

Hello, today I decided to use Linux manjaro(I haven´t used any Linux before) and dualboot it with Windows 10. I createt a bootable Stick of the Gnome edition with rufus. rufus said that it will write it with the DD-mode. there was anything fine. then I bootet the Stick and made the installation. after this it wants to restart the system. but instead of showing the grub manager it directly startet Windows 10. then I looked into the diskmanager(Datenträgerverwaltung in German) and the Linux partition was named EFI startpartition and it was 100% empty.

Thanks for your help.

I have to add that use a Laptop. it´s the lenovo E50-80

Hi @guitarplayer050 ,
Welcome to the forum, in order to properly install Manjaro you could read first on the live session the Manjaro Guide and also you could read this tutorial written by @linux-aarhus n the forum.
[root tip] Dual boot Manjaro and Windows

There is another useful post where you can see a few pictures of the BIOS settings.
Having trouble dual booting Manjaro kde plasma along side windows 10

Hope this help,

1 Like

Make sure SecureBoot is disabled in your firmware.

Also, Windoze must be fully shutdown, disable Fastboot in Windoze.

Could also be that Rufus did not work properly, you could try BalenaEtcher:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

A few things to make sure of…

1. Your UEFI firmware must be set to boot in native UEFI mode only. In other words, CMS (legacy BIOS compatibility mode) must be disabled.

2. Secure Boot must be switched off in the UEFI settings.

3. Windows “Fast Boot” must be disabled.

4. You need at least two partitions, or possibly three if you need a swap partition too. The latter depends on the amount of RAM in your machine ─ if you have 16 GiB or more, then you don’t need a swap partition.
    4.a. an EFI boot partition, mounted at /boot/efi;
    4.b.- a root filesystem, mounted at /; and
    4.c (optionally) a swap partition of about twice the size of your RAM if you want to hibernate the machine.

The EFI partition must be about 512 MiB in size and formatted as FAT32. It must have the boot flag set. The root filesystem must be formatted with a Linux-native filesystem such as ext4. The swap partition does not have a filesystem on it or a mountpoint, but it will be zeroed when you install the system.

If in doubt, the partitioning tool does offer a manual partitioning mode ─ I’m not sure what it’s called, but it might be “Avanced Options” or something like that.

1 Like

Thank you for your help.
Is it possible to use the automatic partition tool of Manjaro?

Yes, it is, but I was rather under the impression that the automatic partitioning had failed. That’s why I recommended manual partitioning ─ which is what I myself always do, but your mileage may vary. :wink:

Ok then i will tryyour way first. Thanks

1 Like

Hello ow I did everything you said but it is the same. WIndows directly starts after restarting

If you press Esc right after the machine has finished its firmware check at boot time, do you get to see a boot menu?

You mean when I start the pc?

Yes there is a menu

The GRUB menu? This one? :arrow_down:

If this is the menu that you see when pressing Esc at boot time, then once you’ve booted into Manjaro, open up a terminal window and issue the following command… :arrow_down:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Look for the line ─ it’ll be near the top of the file ─ that reads… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

… and change that into… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

Save the file with Ctrl+O followed by Enter, and exit the editor with Ctrl+X. Then, enter the following command at the prompt… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

The menu will now be visible upon every boot.