Failed to load Displaymanager, can´t start Manjaro live System

Hello @all

I have been using Manjaro Cinnamon for a few years and now have a problem that I cannot solve myself. I’ve given my pc a new graphics card, an Nvidia 3060TI.
Probably I made a mistake installing the driver when switching to my new graphics card. Anyway, I wanted to reinstall Manjaro. So if I want to start a live system from a USB stick, I get the message “Failed to start Display Manager”. I found no way to start an Manjaro live system. An Ubuntu live system started without any problems.

Is my new Nvidia 3060TI the problem?
I hope someone can help me.

Hi,
I had a similar hickup (well, in my case it was merely a hickup) in that I could not install Manjaro on a laptop. Ended having to use Debian…
What I (in hindsight) could have done is install via the architect. If I recall, this only runs CLI (in the terminal, or in the non-graphical mode) and build up that way.
Basically, this is how I installed Manjaro all the time, Arch too…but…Arch (heaven forbid) vows to never have a graphical install (as far as I recall) :grin:
Melissa
by the way: welcome to the pack :smile_cat:

So I now assume that it is up to LightDM or Cinnamon itself. Gnome, for example, can be started from a USB stick in a live system. I have already tried an older version of Manjaro Cinnamon from the archive with the same result.

And installing Cinnamon over Achiteckt would probably work, but it doesn’t solve the problem in itself.

When you boot the USB drive, do you select Free or Non-Free? If you are having issues, try the Free video driver just to at least get the system booted.

It is the same problem with both drivers. I maked pictures from start for more information but I can´t post it here. And also no link. So I post it later here because now I have no time.

Just a thought, but you may want to find an earlier version of the ISO, use it to install then upgrade…

I have already tried manjaro-cinnamon-18.1.5-191229-linux54.iso. Its the same issue.

Wenn I boot from USB Manjaro is loading until it comes to lightdm. Then I get this message:

[OK] Stopped Light Display Manager.
     Starting Light Display Manager...
[OK] Started Light Display Manager...
[Failed] Failed to start Light Display Manager.
See 'systemctl status lightdm.service' for details.
[OK] Finished Initialize Pacman keyring.
[OK] Reached target Multi-User System.
[OK] Reached target Graphical Interface.

tty and systemctl status lightdm.service shows that:

lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/systemd/system(lightdm.service: enabled: vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since ...
     Docs: man: lightdm(1)
  Process: 1508 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1508: (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

... manjaro-cinnamon systemd(1): lightde.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
... manjaro-cinnamon systemd(1): Stopped Light Display Manager
... manjaro-cinnamon systemd(1): lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly
... manjaro-cinnamon systemd(1): lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
... manjaro-cinnamon systemd(1): Failed to start Light Display Manager.

I believe it may be a 3060ti driver issue, this may be of help… https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/comments/k91psm/new_gpu_3060_ti_live_usb_stuck_after_reached/