How stable is manjaro?

i am a student currently i mainly do programming and casual web search and youtube

i use linux mint as my primary os at present

but i feel that i like manjaro more, i just wanted to know how stable manjaro really is?
as i am busy in studies i can’t afford instability because i have to complete my homework and projects

so is it worth for me to take the risk of making manjaro my primary driver? :confused:

That depends highly on

1. your hardware
  2. the environment chosen
  3. the customization you make

Your hardware - if containing the latest and greatest by AMD or Nvidia will be more prone to occational issues on updates. Purely Intel based usually don’t have issues.

Gnome and KDE is environments under heavy development - upstream - and when an environment is developed intensively, distributions such as Arch and by inheritance Manjaro will be the among the first to introduce those developments.

What environment you choose is based on preferences but as you mention KDE - avoid third-party widgets and themes - at least until you know your way around the system - fixing the occational glitches.

Personal opinion

I have - solely - been using Manjaro for the past 5+ years - so yes - you can rely on Manjaro as your primary system.

For the past 2-3 years I have been maintaining the Openbox Window Manager based community editions - with the primary focus on the Openbox edition (fixing occational small issues with LXDE and LXQt editions).

The Openbox edition has been my main system for years now - it is very mature - no surprises - rock solid.

7 Likes

I want to echo what @linux-aarhus said.

I’ve dropped Windows totally for ~1 year now, first for Ubuntu, moving to Manjaro KDE from there.

It depends greatly, if not mostly on the amount of time you’re willing to spend on maintenance. If you are willing, if it is possible, to spend a bit of time regularly it won’t be neccessary to spend a day or two occasionally. But I’m guessing that’s the case with many, if not most things.

2 Likes

In term of reliability, I can only speak for myself, but I find Manjaro pretty reliable. It might require a bit more “routine” maintenance in a more continuous fashion though, because of its nature of rolling constantly (you do not have a mega-big upgrade every 6 months or 2 years unlike Ubuntu or Debian for example, you have upgrades much more frequently). By that, I mean cleaning up old packages and making some transitions that may require some manual intervention on your side from time to time.

However, I must warn that since we do upgrade software much more often than a classic fixed release distro, you may find that your workflow will have to change, and maybe not at the right moment for you. For example, let’s say you use a program X for your work in a certain version, and there is a completely new version that gets released that change the whole layout of the program. On Manjaro, it will be most likely be released pretty quickly (1-4 weeks) and you will have to make the change; on a fixed release distro, it would most likely be released only alongside the next version of the distro and you do not necessarily have to upgrade right now (you have until the end of support to decide when to upgrade). On Manjaro, you have to embrace the change, whether you like the changes that have been made, or not.

Now, at that point, it is more a personal decision based on your needs.

3 Likes

I’m currently using Manjaro since almost 6 months I think, after distro-hopping from Ubuntu Classic to KDE Neon and then here.
I decided to switch to a rolling release since I wanted to try something new even if this is my personal laptop in single-boot, so no windows or other distros.

To answer your question: as @linux-aarhus said, there are many variables to look at. I currently had no issues at all, switched from GNOME to i3 just for fun, tried installing from AUR and much more while working and studying.

Basically, if you don’t do such complex things, all will be safe and ready to your daily routine.

I hope this will be helpful!
Have a great day!
Manuel.

1 Like

I’m on stable branch - ‘working horse’ setup with xfce.
Running the same installation >4 years now without any problem or disruption on every day basis.

I personally made it a habit to have at least a brief look at any new update announcement and check for possible issues and solutions prior to updating.
Over time you learn to know your own setup and potential tricky points.
If you then suspect problems you might want not to be among the very first ones to update :wink:
Normally solutions are either already known prior (from testing branch) or are posted rapidly.

And, especially for large updates, I log off DE and do updates via tty/CLI.

2 Likes

In short, I think it can be summed up as “as stable as you are.” :grin: :yum:

2 Likes

For me I just install Manjaro Xfce or Gnome… haven’t have any issue till now…almost 3 months…u might also want to stay with LTS kernel…there is also an iso with LTS kernel.

My now 17 years old kid use Manjaro Gnome 2 years ago. Last year he can take his classes in home without any issue. This year he continue using Manjaro for school, and the next year it will be in the University, so-- YES. My another kid is on University and use Manjaro too, BUT for “commercial Microsoft reasons” some Visual Studio needs— he have Windows at side installed in a second hard drive with dual boot. So… again YES
Microsoft teams is what they use here for home classes but it is on the repository, so again…YES

1 Like

hey me too i am also 17 and i am using mint now but next year when i will be in university i will be using manjaro too :smiley:

but i think you should tell him that he doesn’t need windows for VS code, i myself use vscode
i installed it from the repository in manjaro

he can download a snap of VS code
or he can go in repository and download Codium(the opensourced version of VS code that is exactly the same as VS code) :wink:

1 Like

Almost. It just doesn’t have VS Code’s tracking and telemetry in for Microsoft. But otherwise it’s the same thing.

1 Like

Yep, thats the only difference i found in a month :rofl:

Just wish there was a skypium as well…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It has a web version.
Also, you can use Jitsi Meet for group calls, which doesn’t require registration.

Yep, know that. It was a joke, though. And besides, considering Skype is now an electron app, I :100: expect MegaSuck to have the same trackers both in the web version and the app.

I know about Jitsi also, and I’ll keep it handy.

Here’s something…
With Mint, you can destablise it with PPA’s and messing up APT.
With Manjaro, it can have issues with ‘partial’ updates… for example, after a recent update the kernel didn’t suit my machine and it was unstable until I rebooted and selected the older LTS kernel again (5.9 was good for me, 510 is not).

Also, I had an AUR package - KWIN effect ‘yet another magic lamp’ which got pushed out for Plasma 5.21 (for Arch). On my Manjaro install it meant that when I tried to update, I was told KWIN was in conflict with KWIN-git - and it wanted to delete a long list of apps to replace them with GIT versions.

The solution - remove ‘another’ magic lamp and wait a couple of weeks for Manjaro to catch up with Arch. Minor annoyance (actually got me really crazy for 7 hours yesterday, but the system still worked fine; didn’t reboot, just slept when AFK).

So mainly it’s going to depend how much you ‘tweak’. I’m very destructive because I use lots of ‘cool’ stuff.

I had a tough choice between these two, but ended up going with the official Snap version of VS Code because Microsoft added a very good syncing feature recently, which I didn’t see in the non-Microsoft version. This allows me to keep settings and extensions synced across devices. If you only have one computer though, this probably isn’t a big selling point.

Whichever works for you!

Although there is the Settings sync extension the syncs to Github.

I use that to sync to a private gist.

For me Manjaro has been somewhat stable. I use it on 4 different computers and each one is different and has different issues.

This is very true. My intel based laptop has been a rock, the only problems here are generally application specific other than bluetooth which I seem to have problems with on every computer with every kernel no matter what I do… My nvidia machine crashes at least once every year or two and I usually end up re-installing from scratch.

I know it is possible to install some windows software in Linux and there is wine and all that but personally I would never put anything windows on my linux computer or even on my network. I don’t trust those guys. The only way I use windows or any microsoft software is if it’s custom debloated and has a firewall blocking all communication in the operating system in a virtual machine using isolated network drivers behind another virtual machine with with a pfsense on a vpn blocking all other communication. Yeah, microsoft is the devil!

Anyway, sorry for the off topic microsoft rant…

This is probably the most accurate answer…

Welcome to Manjaro bud!!!

1 Like